pdog1517

Reloading .223/5.56

i own the newest hornady and nosler boods and im really liking the nosler book.

A little trick if your powder is getting any static is to hang a piece of non-scented drier sheet in your powder drop this will get rid of the static build up. (always non-scented you dont want the buds to think your girly)

It is also a good idea to have more than one reloaders manual to compare loads.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp This is a good place to get factory load data.

A digital powder scale is worth its weight in gold. You can check your loads alot quicker more for the older people that may not have a steady hand as the beam scale is a bit touchy. they can be had for $89 for a BBK

Lymans is fantasic it shows both rifle and pistol & T/C. It show three types of ullets (in some cases) FMJ, HP & cast or alloy. The speer is nice but the Lyman is better so I think. It is always a good idea to get a new book every other year and if you have some friends that also reload get together with them and have everybody get differant ones to compare data makes it cheap for all. Hell thats what me & my friends do then we just zerox the loads we want and we have them.

Though I'm still pretty intimidated by reloading, this has definately helped. Also, not that your writeup didn't help as it was very excellent and cleared numerous things up, its just that I need to actually try it or see it being done in person in order to fully understand.

This is really some GREAT information!

Thanks to everyone!!

"Swaging" is to remove the crimp from the primer pocket on Military brass. The RCBS set-up is one of the best and easiest I've used. It's a good investment for the $15, sooner or later you'll need it.

Do you nneed to do this every time or is this a on time step?

Do you nneed to do this every time or is this a on time step?

It's a one time deal.

Thanks for the great post =) I just started reloading and this post helped a ton.

Great thread. I just spent 2 hours today with an experianced reloader learning the basics. I am still a little intimidated by reloading but it is making me more comfortable with the idea the more I learn. I have my eyes set on an RCBS rock chucker kit when I decide to take the plunge. Thnaks for taking the time to put this thread together

I as well appreciate this post. Your guys rock with the info..my problems with .223 is with my powder choice. I think its great for my 30-06 but the .223 its overfilling the cases. I have posted about it. I FL sized them and Iam wondering if I messed up the cases when I did them. I cannot for the life of me get more than 16 grams of varget in a case..I have swirled..massaged and even offered to take it on a dinner date,,26 grams it will not get it all in.

But on a side note I have contacted Lee prescision and boy let me tell you they are great. I talked with a guy and told him my problems. I broke the FL die friggin around with a stuck case. I bought anoother 2 die set for like 12 bucks at a local shop..the dies are from 1985. The Lee guy said to send the dies I wanted to get repaired back and he would square me away..also to send some fired brass and bullets and they would make sure its spot on.

Now jsut get some powder that will be better fill these cases. i will waite on .223 and gegt a load develpoed for my 06 deer rounds..thanks for listening to my rant..and any tips I will gladly listen to

Edited by pdog1517
light language

I as well appreciate this post. Your guys rock with the info..my problems with .223 is with my powder choice. I think its great for my 30-06 but the .223 its overfilling the cases. I have posted about it. I FL sized them and Iam wondering if Imessed up the cases when I did them. I cannot for the life of me get more than 16 grams of varget in a case..I have swirled..massaged and even offered to take it on a dinner date,,26 grams it will not get it all in.

But on a side note I have contacted Lee prescision and boy let me tell you they are great. I talked with a guy and told him my problems. I broke the FL die friggin around with a stuck case. I bought anoother 2 die set for like 12 bucks at a local shop..the dies are from 1985. The Lee guy said to send the dies I wanted to get repaired back and he would square me away..also to send some fired brass and bullets and they would make sure its spot on.

Now jsut get some powder that will be better fill these cases. i will waite on .223 and gegt a load develpoed for my 06 deer rounds..thanks for listening to my rant..and any tips I will gladly listen to

I seriously hope this is a typo. Powder weight is measured in grains, not grams. Has to be, 16grams is almost 247 grains :laugh:

A lot of times with rod type powders you have to use a drop tube to get it all in the case. It lets the powder drop into the case and pack itself in there, then you gently tap it on the table to help settle it in. That's why most of us go will ball or spherical powders, much easier to load :wink:

Edited by pdog1517
light language from quoted above

I seriously hope this is a typo. Powder weight is measured in grains, not grams. Has to be, 16grams is almost 247 grains :laugh:

A lot of times with rod type powders you have to use a drop tube to get it all in the case. It lets the powder drop into the case and pack itself in there, then you gently tap it on the table to help settle it in. That's why most of us go will ball or spherical powders, much easier to load :wink:

Yes sorry it was a typo..boy it was late when I wrote it. A drop tube I havent used but the other methods I have tried and just cant see where a drop tube would let me get in another 7-10 grains in the case. I just hope I didnt get the cases screwed up when resizing them.

Sort of in a dilema..but its cool as I still have the 30 cal. to work with. I am sort of the person who wants to know the answer now..but I must be patient as Yoda taught me. Snic.

Thanks for the help and another avenue of thought....

Rich