HS101

Gun Ranges / Clubs

Hello all. I'm looking for somewhere to let my AR "stretch out" a little bit. I live about 45 mins south of Atlanta. I usually shoot at Autrey's in Fayetteville, but they only have a 25 yard indoor range. I'm looking for something with at least 200 - 300 yards, if not longer. I've found several clubs on the internet and wonder if anyone here has experience with them/ belongs to them. The three that seem the most interesting / closest to me are the South River Gun Club (Conyers), Griffin Gun Club and Marion River Gun Club (Macon).

Any others that I am missing? Anything within a 2 hour range of Atlanta would be good... I travel a lot with my job.

Thanks!

Hello all. I'm looking for somewhere to let my AR "stretch out" a little bit. I live about 45 mins south of Atlanta. I usually shoot at Autrey's in Fayetteville, but they only have a 25 yard indoor range. I'm looking for something with at least 200 - 300 yards, if not longer. I've found several clubs on the internet and wonder if anyone here has experience with them/ belongs to them. The three that seem the most interesting / closest to me are the South River Gun Club (Conyers), Griffin Gun Club and Marion River Gun Club (Macon).

Any others that I am missing? Anything within a 2 hour range of Atlanta would be good... I travel a lot with my job.

Thanks!

I think marion is only 100 yards. I do not know about the other two you mentioned.

I can get you out to 100, 200, 400, or 500 (there is no 300 yard mark, it is down in a gulley)yards the one I am a member of. Will need a four wheeler unless you want to walk a 1/4 of a mile down and a 1/4 of a mile back.

I think marion is only 100 yards. I do not know about the other two you mentioned.

I can get you out to 100, 200, 400, or 500 (there is no 300 yard mark, it is down in a gulley)yards the one I am a member of. Will need a four wheeler unless you want to walk a 1/4 of a mile down and a 1/4 of a mile back.

Thanks for the reply. I might just take you up on that offer :thumb: I'm in the Macon area on business a couple of times a month...

Thanks for the reply. I might just take you up on that offer :thumb: I'm in the Macon area on business a couple of times a month...

Ok, I went there today for a couple of hours and it was hot as hell. The place isn't anything fancy, the chairs are all a bit too low, and some one decided to take a truck down and to the end and made a very nice rut right at the 100 yard mark. I swear some people have no respect for anything. If you want to go oneday, just give me a few days notice and we can go from there. I will say the best time to go is during the week, middle of the day, usually no one there.

Ok, I went there today for a couple of hours and it was hot as hell. The place isn't anything fancy, the chairs are all a bit too low, and some one decided to take a truck down and to the end and made a very nice rut right at the 100 yard mark. I swear some people have no respect for anything. If you want to go oneday, just give me a few days notice and we can go from there. I will say the best time to go is during the week, middle of the day, usually no one there.

Thanks! I'm waiting on the big brown deliverer of fun to show up with a few goodies for my AR and then I will definitely take you up on the offer. (I'm waiting on a Vortex Strike fire and a bipod {cheap crappy one to see if I will like a bipod or if I will just prefer sandbags}) I'm also hoping to work on my SKS before I get out to a range. My dad got it YEARS ago and put an aftermarket stock on it and cleaned the outside of the gun well, but never took it apart and cleaned the inside of it (or even fired it for that matter :whack: ).

I've read that they can be mean if the cosmoline isn't cleaned from the bolt/firing pin, etc...

I figure if I'm sighting in one, I might as well sight both of them in :flea:

Let me know and we will see if we can't work something out.

Another option is RPC Fort Benning

It is a public range is on Fort Benning right next to some of the AMU ranges. You need to buy a membership. There are tactical matches, training and discounts on firearms/ammo you can access with your membership. They have free surplus paper targets for members use. I am heading there this Saturday (27 Jun 09) to work with my Grendel SASS and practice with my Service Rifle for an upcoming CMP match. Let me know if you are interested.

Medic...out!

Another option is RPC Fort Benning

It is a public range is on Fort Benning right next to some of the AMU ranges. You need to buy a membership. There are tactical matches, training and discounts on firearms/ammo you can access with your membership. They have free surplus paper targets for members use. I am heading there this Saturday (27 Jun 09) to work with my Grendel SASS and practice with my Service Rifle for an upcoming CMP match. Let me know if you are interested.

Medic...out!

Cool... Thanks for the info. That looks very interesting. I will totally have to come over there and take a look, but it is about 2 hours away from where I live... I could do a little recon of the area so I have a better idea where to stay when I go to the 3 gun competition in December...

I sucked up the price and joined South River Gun Club. The longest range is 300 yards, but there are several "action pits", as well as a bullseye range and several trap/skeet ranges... I like the fact that there are lots of events there, including a GSSF shoot.

Cool... Thanks for the info. That looks very interesting. I will totally have to come over there and take a look, but it is about 2 hours away from where I live... I could do a little recon of the area so I have a better idea where to stay when I go to the 3 gun competition in December...

I sucked up the price and joined South River Gun Club. The longest range is 300 yards, but there are several "action pits", as well as a bullseye range and several trap/skeet ranges... I like the fact that there are lots of events there, including a GSSF shoot.

That sounds like a decent club. We don't have that variety on the RPC range here....yet! I did not even look where you were located, when I heard 45min south of Atlanta I just assumed that would put you at an hour from us...lol.

I hope to still be here for the next 3-gun and Sniper Competitions. I missed both of them last time. Take care and shoot straight!

Medic...out!

have you checked out the DNR range at charlie elliott in social circle? nice range, I think they have a 100.

Hey guys I am a member of modern day gun slingers. We've been in savannah for about a year now. We just finished our new range out in rincon. It's a members range only. 25m 180degree burm. Also looking to start teaching class' soon. Already have multiple NRA cert instructors. We're on Facebook and you can contact me on here for questions.

Waking up this old thread with news of a new outdoor range in Augusta GA call S.H.A.R.P.E. Shooters. It opened August 2014. I'm not associated with this range but I have recently shot there. They are still working on walkways and the parking area but the shooting areas are good to go. Rifle range extends to 200 yds with covered benches and RO's present. Also have separate pistol bays. Nice indoor shop, with rental guns, and a member's lounge. I haven't tried it yet but they also have an indoor simulator for self defense training. Located just off I-20 near the Savannah River. The address is 2901 Gun Club Rd.