Hey folks,

Are there many of you who purchased a Star MegaStar in 10MM? I don't think I've ever seen anyone else with one. My nephew has a MegaStar in .45 caliber.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Yes, I LOVE my Megastar 10mm. Out of my extensive 10mm collection, the Megastar is my favorite one to shoot. It isn't the most accurate, nor the best looking, but it just fits my hand perfectly and has enough heft to literally shoot Double Tap's out of it all day long. I want to get a blued one to match mine in Starvel.

• Like 1

Hey Bambi,

Are you and I the only ones who have ever owned a MegaStar? I see from your post that you have other 10MMs in addition to your MegaStar. My MegaStar is the only 10MM I have, but at the time, it seemed like the only pistol truly designed for the full 10MM loadings. I don't have big hands, but the MegaStar also fits my hand perfectly, and while the recoil is really rather mild, I never have developed the ability to shoot double taps as you have described.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Star Bonafacio [sp] was one of the Spanish "Big Three" gunmakers with: Astra, and Llama bringing-up the rear. The Star's are well-made arms, too bad they are now defunct. Quite a few of the cognescenti in Europe favored the "wondernine" high-caps produced by CZ (Model 75), and the Star (Model 30). I wish I would have added a Model 30 to augment my CZ and FN Hi-Power. There are a number of other MegaStar owners floating around the forum, who have the 10mm version. Perhaps, they will honour us by reposting pics of these great pieces.

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Hey Zephyr,

My MegaStar 10MM is in the starvel finish, and I wouldn't mind posting a couple of pictures of it. I have .JPG pictures I could post, but I have no idea how to do it. Is it something you can explain, or do I have to be a computer genius to do it?

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

David Wile, to post a picture you need to have th picture hosted on your own webpage or a picture hosting service like PhotoBucket or Flickr. Some of these are better than others, there are many of these avalible.

After you have the pictures hosted you can right click on the picture which will bring up a menu, go down to properties, click on properties. Then copy the web address in the properties window, then paste it over here in the add picture screen.

Best of luck! :thumb:

David, the Double Taps I mentioned are not the two shots in rapid succession technique but rather the very powerful ammunition originally made for the 10mm (and now made for MANY calibers). This stuff makes guns shoot like they were meant to, especially the 10mm. Double Tap Ammo It was called that because one of their original loads contained a JHP bullet AND a roundball in the same shot.

I did find some magazines for these, as well as having some blued mags still in the cardboard. They are quite hard to find.

Unfortunately, these are the best pics of my Megastar 10mm Starvel I have handy.

Megastar1.jpg

Megastar2.jpg

P.S. Yes, my safety is turned off, I dry-fire over a snap cap for storage...

Edited by bambihunter

Hey folks,

Thanks Shadow for explaining how to post pictures. However, thanks to Bambi I don't need to post pictures of my MegaStar. His MegaStar pics show exactly what my MegaStar looks like. I saw somewhere where a fellow posted that he had a problem with his finger rubbing on the bottom of the trigger guard as he pulled the trigger. I really do like this pistol, but I find I have the same problem with my trigger finger rubbing on the bottom of the guard. I would like to get another trigger that I could shape a little better with more curve, but I have not gotten around to it in 15 years so far - I suspect I will die before I ever get around to changing it. When I bought mine, it came with only one magazine, so I bought two more magazines at the same time. Yes, I sure am glad I bought them when I had a chance to do so.

If anyone has any ideas about the trigger rubbing thing, please let me know what you are thinking.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

I knew of a guy that had some kind of soft spongy thing that he slipped onto some of his triggers. He used it because the gap was big enough to pinch his finger under the trigger. Anyway, it reminded me of those soft grip things you put around pencils but it was smaller. You could always use some type of soft self-adhesive neoprene on the inside of the trigger guard. It would remove easily from the Starvel finish.

As a side thought, often when your fingers get slapped on the trigger guard it is often a grip problem allowing the front to lift and rotate further and faster than it should. However, if you don't have this problem with any other pistols then it is probably either trigger reach or the fact that these triggers are somewhat shorter.

Hey Bambi,

I am going to have to try some sort of a pad on the end of the trigger. If that helps, it would be a lot easier and cheaper than changing triggers. I have no idea if I have a grip problem as you mentioned. I hold the MegaStar the same way I hold my S&W 5906, and I do not have a problem with the S&W. There is an obvious difference in the triggers and trigger guards on these two guns.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

Next time you shoot make an effort to lock the wrist so it doesn't get much muzzle flip and grip in a way that the muzzle doesn't want to climb (have someone grip the barrel when unloaded and lift up, you'll find a way that seems to grip better to prevent that movement). If that doesn't help then I'd bet it is simply ergonomics of the gun. If it does, it MIGHT be a user grip problem (but NOT always). If you can shoot guns like the Glock 20, or 10mm 1911's without this bothering you then I doubt it is you, but rather the fit...

Not being critical, just offering things to try. I used to shoot a Browning Auto 5 that I really liked but the blunt backed receiver used to dig into my hand and sometimes draw blood. The SKS does the same thing. I had experts watch me shoot to see if they could figure it out (they never could). I now shoot long guns with a more rounded back and never thought about it again really...

Hey Bambi,

Don't wory about my thinking you are being critical; I asked for help and am willing to consider anything you may offer. I don't think there is a problem with the gun fitting my hand. I don't have real big hands, but I have always found it big grip guns to feel and point well for me. These big grip guns include the S&W 5906, the 1911 Colt, and the MegaStar, and they all feel quite natural to me. I never even held a Glock. I have no problem with my trigger finger with the S&W and the 1911; it is just the MegaStar that seems to not hold my finger on the trigger properly. My nephew has a .45 MegaStar, and I have the same problem when shooting his gun. I think it is the MegaStar trigger and my finger. I really need to try changing it as we discussed earlier. In any case, it is a fine gun, and I would recommend it to anyone who can grip it and hold the weight. If one can grip it and hold the weight, they don't have to worry about heavy recoil. There just isn't any heavy recoil to me.

Best wishes,

Dave Wile

David, you might want to try a "shooting glove" the next time. This may eleviate the problem. Pistols like the Star were designed by Spanish arms makers with an eye on military contracts, hence the larger trigger-guard for gloved users in inclimate weather. Just a thought anyways. As a side note: The "Firestar" was the Mega's little brother in 9mm, it was given a glowing review by none other, than Massod Ayoob.

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

The Firestar is a nice little gun for the money. They sell for ~$250 and are very reliable. When I bought my Megastar the guy had both and wouldn't sell me the Megastar unless I took the Firestar. My wife shot it for 5+ years with absolutely no problems (nor any with the Megastar). Star makes (or at least made) good guns.

The big grip guns I refer to are the double-stacks. The 1911 designs are slimmer and many people can shoot them but not the fatter grips of the Megastars, Glock 10mm and 45's, and the Para-Ordance Double-stack 1911's. I hope you can get it figured out or fixed, as you surmized, they are an absolute pleasure to shoot.

If you are anywhere near Oklahoma City, OK I'd be glad to let you (or any other 10mmtalk members) shoot some of my 10mm irons to see what they like and what fits them.

David, you might want to try a "shooting glove" the next time. This may eleviate the problem. Pistols like the Star were designed by Spanish arms makers with an eye on military contracts, hence the larger trigger-guard for gloved users in inclimate weather. Just a thought anyways. As a side note: The "Firestar" was the Mega's little brother in 9mm, it was given a glowing review by none other, than Massod Ayoob.

I've got a Star Firestar in .40 S&W I love it it fits my hands like it was made for me also a Star BMK in 9mm that my wife loves. Also one of the first Delta Elite 10mm in the Detroit area.