She’s here. :thumb:

I finally found one, albeit still over priced in my opinion, :wink: a Ruger Blackhawk 1990 “Buckeye” edition. This model was about a one year, one hit wonder.

Buckeye, as in Ohio for all of you who are wondering. It also has a 38/40 Win. cylinder. You know, that old timey cartridge that began life in the Model 73 Winchester? The one later chambered for Colt’s 38 WCF SA? And because of the CAS sports this cartridge has been reborn.

The also made them in 32- 20 and 32 H&R for you Ruger collectors and a later there was a special run of 40/38-40 cylinders too.

But I digress.

But as you guessed, it’s the 10mm Auto I want. :oh yea:

Here are the pics and a range report will follow.

Eventually we will velocity test my 1006 stock bbl. vs. G20/6” bbl the Kimber STII stock bbl and the Buckeye 10 with it’s 6 ½”

all in a side by side test using ammo safe in all my semi-autos.

When funds permit, she will go to Hamilton Bowen who will give her a complete makeover with a 7 ½ Pac-Nor bbl. and a special 5 shot cylinder. :nt:

Unfired, NIB:

Nice blue and a spare 38/40 cylinder:

buckeye.jpg

The wood grips are even decent:

buckeye3.jpg

Watch that muzzle! 10mm bullets to follow soon. Smile and wait for flash.

buckeye2.jpg

The special "buckeye" flower:

buckeye1.jpg

TG, very very nice!

I understand the 7 ½ Pac-Nor bbl. but what about the special 5 shot cylinder? I'm under the impression the Buckeye was a six shooter... :CONFUS12:

Bowen is famous for making up new cylinders for Rugers. Same physical size, but with 5 holes, not 6. More strength. :)

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugSArev.htm

Dave Linebaugh, http://www.customsixguns.com/pricing.htm also does work on these. Here is an article to give you an idea:

http://www.singleactions.com/files/3840WinchesterArticle.pdf

Linebaugh also does a special 6 shot cylinder.

And naturally, until you do a conversion, stick to the books with your loads. :thumbsup:

While that pdf is about the 38/40, the article is pretty telling.

There are other custom revolver companies that do similar work but these are the ones I am familiar with.

OK that's cool I was just wondering. Sounds like a neat project! I'll be looking onward to see how it turns out!

Good luck to you!

Nice TaosGlock!

I've wanted to get one of these for years even though I am not a wheelgun man. If I recall correctly, the 38-40 is legal in Kansas for deer hunting (because they use an archaic system to determine legal calibers - case length).

One of these days....

TG, congrats on finding that nice Ruger Buckeye. Hamilton Bowen made a custom 6-shooter for Ross Seyfried, when he wrote for Guns and Ammo magazine back in the 1980's. His particular specimen was based on a Ruger Bisley frame, and chambered for John Linebaugh's mighty .500 wildcat. Ross was one of the first to take Cape Buffalo on the African veldt. His was also reworked with a 5-shot unfluted cylinder, a barrel band, modified front sight, and heavier springs. He liked Bowen's work so much, he had an additional SA Ruger chambered in .50 Special.

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

SWEET! Nice one! can't wait for the write up.Maybe if I am off when you go break her in, I will head out to the range with ya!

TG, congrats on finding that nice Ruger Buckeye. Hamilton Bowen made a custom 6-shooter for Ross Seyfried, when he wrote for Guns and Ammo magazine back in the 1980's. His particular specimen was based on a Ruger Bisley frame, and chambered for John Linebaugh's mighty .500 wildcat. Ross was one of the first to take Cape Buffalo on the African veldt. His was also reworked with a 5-shot unfluted cylinder, a barrel band, modified front sight, and heavier springs. He liked Bowen's work so much, he had an additional SA Ruger chambered in .50 Special.

I actually remember he liked Bisleys.

I always like Seyfried's writing style. Ross was always into the big boomers. His writings were the main reason I chose the 416 Rem over the 458 Win.

SWEET! Nice one! can't wait for the write up.Maybe if I am off when you go break her in, I will head out to the range with ya!

We are on!

Nice TaosGlock!

I've wanted to get one of these for years even though I am not a wheelgun man. If I recall correctly, the 38-40 is legal in Kansas for deer hunting (because they use an archaic system to determine legal calibers - case length).

One of these days....

I was thinking for a dedicated hunting piece, this would be the ticket for my uses.

Otherwise I am with you, I like the 10 in a semi auto platform.

I got one from a member here last year. Just got to shoot it this past weekend, and it shot a ragged hole at 10 yards and put all 6 shots in a pie plate at 50 yards with my 200gr XTP over 800-X handloads. They had some pop, but I'm VERY pleased with the results. It will be in the deer blind with me this season.

Gah! I wanted one of these, and the 44-40 one, too. My first handgun was a 32-20 version, wish I still had it. OH well.

Jim

Well got her to the range and fired a variety of ammo. Super accurate at 25M. The throats are seriously undersized.

Most loads had very flat primers and the cylinder would not rotate on one batch of loads that work fine in my Kimber & Glocks.

Pressures are often higher with tight throats so I will send her off to get this fixed. Somewhere I read that this was a problem on some of these models.