MamawK

Which is better 9mm or 10mm?

I am comparing these 2 for purchase which is the best for the money? 9mm or 10mm

Thanks MamawK

Wildwood Ga

I am comparing these 2 for purchase which is the best for the money? 9mm or 10mm

Thanks MamawK

Wildwood Ga

What do you plan to do with it?

9mm is easy to carry and shoot, has lots of firearm options available, is pretty easy to find and is an effective cartridge.

10mm is one of the most powerful handgun cartridges, has fewer firearm options available and is more expensive and harder to find.

Welcome to the Armory!

Edited by Gmountain

I used to have one and loved to target practice with it. Just wanted to get back range its been a few years.

Thanks MK

I used to have one and loved to target practice with it. Just wanted to get back range its been a few years.

Thanks MK

A 9mm is much less expensive to shoot. Also, and this is just my opinion, if you don't shoot a lot, a 9mm is a better choice, with a lot of ammo options as well.

If target practice is your main use then I suggest the 9mm, its cheaper.

If target practice is your main use then I suggest the 9mm, its cheaper.

You are better off comparing 9mm and 40S&W. Both are relatively cheap both have relatively similar power. Forty is slightly heavier and slightly bigger where as nine is slightly smaller and slightly faster. 40S&W is loaded closer to the limits of the cartridge whereas 9mm has a little more of a "safety factor" built into it because of the large number of older guns chambered for it. I've always considered 40S&W to be the worst of both worlds between 9mm and .45acp. It has the lower capacity of a .45 and the lighter weight of the 9mm.

10mm is better compared to .41 mag, .460 Rowland, or .50GI. I bet you haven't heard of any of those. The reason is they are hard to find, require reloading, and are connoisseurs cartridges (not available at walmart). They all do something incredibly well, but at the cost of availability and/or recoil. 40S&W is the same diameter as 10mm but it lacks the extra case length and power. You might say it reminds me of 2 Timothy 3:5...

If this is a first purchase I'd recommend a Browning Hi-power in 9mm, or a 1911 in 45 acp. A cocked and locked single action trigger is much easier to learn and will get you further down the road faster before you get into the intricacies of DA/SA or feel frustration with a hard and long DAO trigger.

Buy a 1911 .45ACP.

It's probably the best designed semi-auto pistol ever made.

9mm and 10mm are so very different cartridges.

9mm: Ammo available nearly everywhere and cheap, practice ammo is widely available. A good defense round, but not particularly good as a hunting round. Recoil is easy to manage. It was designed as a military pistol round and does that fairly well.

10mm: Harder to find ammo and it is more expensive. Can be used for defense and small game hunting, even up to deer at close range. Recoil is easy to manage with "FBI" loads (180 grains at 950 fps), but still has more felt recoil than a 9mm. Recoil can tend towards the stout side with full power loads (feels a lot like a 357 Magnum to me). Much like the 357 Magnum, the 10mm is highly versatile, but has no military following and most law enforcement agencies have now abandoned the 10 in favor of the 40 S&W.

40 S&W: A good compromise cartridge. It works well for defense, not great for hunting, but fits 9mm size pistols. Recoil is more than a 9mm, but it is also more powerful and has a better reputation as a defense round.

45 ACP in the 1911 platform: When you want a good defense round, good ammo availability and a simple and easy to operate pistol.

Edited by stans

I had made the decision in the past for my AR between the two, & I had gone with the 10mm in an Olympic Arms upper. I planed on reloading for it as most companies really download their ammo for some reason to where its almost at 40s&w power. For this it would have been a companion to a Glock 20 for a dual gun round.

Years later and I finally got my lower built for it, & now i'm thinking of selling the upper to purchase a 9mm upper. I already have 2 9mm M&P compacts & a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm.

If your thinking of hunting with the round, I would go 10mm. Glock makes a fine handgun in it and there are 6" barrels for them to up its speed to around 1400fps for a 180gr bullet. If i plan to keep the upper and convert my grease gun mags to it. I should have a gun that shoots 180gr to about 1600fps with around 35rd in the mag. Sounds cool when you think about. But unless you reload, 9mm is the way to go. Softer recoil, cheaper guns to shoot out of & the round is in so many guns to choose from. But on the other hand, if you think there will be a barrier between you and your target...the 10mm will punch through it.

For a pistol, I'd go 9mm as my final thought on this. They make quality bullets these days and they will open up great. I carry my M&P 9c with C.O.P. bulelts in 95gr +P. For a budget defense gun, 9mm all the way.