Sign in to follow this  
high plains drifter

Delta Elite

A used but very seldom shot Colt Delta Elite is now mine. Blue finish and totally stock . It was part of an estate and turned into Scheels where I bought it. $650 Really nice . I can hardly wait to shoot it . I was disatisfied with my Glock 20 and 24 completely. The trigger never was any good and long range accuracy ( 200 yards ) was not up to standards. The Delta Elite is perfect in the hand with a nice trigger. Out in the desert will let me know how it shoots. Will advise. high plains drifter

A used but very seldom shot Colt Delta Elite is now mine. Blue finish and totally stock . It was part of an estate and turned into Scheels where I bought it. $650 Really nice . I can hardly wait to shoot it . I was disatisfied with my Glock 20 and 24 completely. The trigger never was any good and long range accuracy ( 200 yards ) was not up to standards. The Delta Elite is perfect in the hand with a nice trigger. Out in the desert will let me know how it shoots. Will advise. high plains drifter

Congrats! It is a great pistol -- nice price too!

200yd handgun accuracy??? I like the challenge! Haven't shot a handgun past 100yds before but even at 100 it wasn't easy. Quite a steal on a delta elite! Nice find.

Ryan

I'm taking the Delta out on Tuesday for an outing. Long shots are easy to try but hard to do with a pistol in most locals. You have more trees in a square mile than we have in the whole state. high plains drifter.

Thats a steal on the Delta, but 200 yards, seriously? Why in the hell would you ever need to shoot your handgun aka "defensive weapon" that far? Especially in a SHTF situtation, you will have to worry about where your rounds are going.

but anyway, to each their own.

Because I can . Anybody can hit the target at 3 ,5, and 7 yards. 200 to 300 yards is tough shooting. When I get older I may not be able to shoot that well. (I'm 70 now) high plains drifter

Whether you shoot handguns or long guns, there is just somethng special about shooting a distant target. I salute you!

This is starting to remind me of bob munden on tv shooting handguns at balloons at 200yds. The 1911 wasn't a problem but it took awhile to hit the balloon with the derringer. Looked like fun nonetheless.

I've got a Delta, been shooting it at 200 yards. Generally will hold a 18 inch group with handloads. When I shoot that far out I use 155 gr sierra JHP, with 9.7 gr blue dot. Chrono says it runs 1270ish. Good luck and nice price on that gun.

Congrats on the Delta :thumb: Great price $$$ too :oh yea: Just make me jealous :) Enjoy :thumb:

I took the Colt Delta Elite 10 mm , a Sig 1911 45 and a S&W 610 10mm out today to the high desert. Lots of rocks and sagebrush at 7000 feet. We shot at 30 yards( for test purposes), 165 yards and 200 yards. ( with a rangefinder) The Delta Elite shot well until my reloads began to cause problems. Even thought they fit in the test chamber at home, they would jam and the slide would not close completely. The barrel in the Delta is really tight. No room for error. Accuracy was good at 165 and not bad at 200 ,but not good. I was not steady as it was quite cold and windy. (35 degrees) The gun was cold too. The Sig 1911 45 shot perfectly with no jams but does not have the long range capability of the 10mm. Great trigger on the Sig. The S&W 610 shot well at all ranges and NO Brass to pick up. That Delta throws it everywhere. Lost half my brass. Till next time, high plains drifter

I took the Colt Delta Elite 10 mm , a Sig 1911 45 and a S&W 610 10mm out today to the high desert. Lots of rocks and sagebrush at 7000 feet. We shot at 30 yards( for test purposes), 165 yards and 200 yards. ( with a rangefinder) The Delta Elite shot well until my reloads began to cause problems. Even thought they fit in the test chamber at home, they would jam and the slide would not close completely. The barrel in the Delta is really tight. No room for error. Accuracy was good at 165 and not bad at 200 ,but not good. I was not steady as it was quite cold and windy. (35 degrees) The gun was cold too. The Sig 1911 45 shot perfectly with no jams but does not have the long range capability of the 10mm. Great trigger on the Sig. The S&W 610 shot well at all ranges and NO Brass to pick up. That Delta throws it everywhere. Lost half my brass. Till next time, high plains drifter

The 10mm is abit more accurate than the 45. What loads were you using with your Sig? Try 185 grain bullets with the 45. It makes a whole new platform for the 45. Much faster and a shat pot more accurate.

As for your reloads, did you check the chamber to make sure it wasnt gummed up or dirty?

As for you Delta throwing brass, that is a tell tell sign that you need to increase the recoil spring weight. 20-24 pounds is what I run with a full length guide rod. You want the brass to eject 4-5 feet right and 4-5 feet to the rear. Anymore and its hard on the gun. Anyless and your going to worry about rounds not fully ejecting.

Socom 16, The sig 1911

was using 230 grain RN lead with 5.6 of 231 pushing it. Very manageable. I'm not sure what the springs ( 2 of them) are in the Delta Elite. Just got it. Recoil is not bad ,easier than the Glock 20sf. There is also a buffer in the DE 10 mm. It throws the casing about 6 to8 feet not always in the same direction. These are my reloads. Still trying to perfect them. high plains drifter

Socom 16, The sig 1911

was using 230 grain RN lead with 5.6 of 231 pushing it. Very manageable. I'm not sure what the springs ( 2 of them) are in the Delta Elite. Just got it. Recoil is not bad ,easier than the Glock 20sf. There is also a buffer in the DE 10 mm. It throws the casing about 6 to8 feet not always in the same direction. These are my reloads. Still trying to perfect them. high plains drifter

Hi , I replied on the reloading forum (home brew) of this site regarding finally figuring out my problems with loading the 10mm. Thanks to all. high plains drifter

Because I can . Anybody can hit the target at 3 ,5, and 7 yards. 200 to 300 yards is tough shooting. When I get older I may not be able to shoot that well. (I'm 70 now) high plains drifter

I like your style.