2/107_Cav

MCTAR-20x Install problems.

Dear Guys,

Hope you can help me out with this situation. I recently received my MCTAR-20x for Christmas from MidwayUSA. I'm installing it on a shorty 11.5" heavy barreled upper. When I say heavy barreled I mean about .980" diameter coming out of the receiver then profiling to .890". I guess some refer to it as the "heavy machine gun barrel." Anyway everything fits perfectly except the lower rail mount that the bottom rail screws to. I first thought the barrel nut was overtightend which wouldn't allow proper clearance between the gas tube ridges and the receiver for that piece to drop in. I broke down my upper, retorqued the barrel nut to 65ftlbs, and tried to refit. Still doesn't fit. The barrel nut is a DPMS mil-spec nut. When the nut is loosend the piece will drop right in, and then when you tighten the barrel nut with the lower rail mount in position, you can't torque the nut. I tried flipping the lower mount and it fits when you do that, however none of the screw holes line up to mount the rail. I am at a loss to make the lower mount fit unless I bevel an edge of the lower mount with a dremel to clearance it. The upper is a yankee hill upper and has no flaws. Wondered if you guys had an answer to this situation or other complaints like this? Perhaps I have a crazy mut of an upper and your setup won't fit unless it's custom fitted? Perhaps I need to change manufacturers of my barrel nut ?? Just wanted to check it out before I fit it because if I have to send anything to anyone I don't want to modify it. I love the rail and want to keep it. Any help would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I am very mechanically inclined and have built AR's piece by piece. I've tried anything and everything from flipping the lower mount to breaking down the upper. Even though I mentioned a dremel I'm far off from "Bubba" :cb:

P.P.S. Top rail and mount drop right in, sits perfectly flush just like it should. All other components mount up perfectly fine.............perplexing. Rifle shoots 1MOA or less iron sighted on a 25m zero target. I just don't get it.

Pooze

Edited by 2/107_Cav

Dear Guys,

Hope you can help me out with this situation. I recently received my MCTAR-20x for Christmas from MidwayUSA. I'm installing it on a shorty 11.5" heavy barreled upper. When I say heavy barreled I mean about .980" diameter coming out of the receiver then profiling to .890". I guess some refer to it as the "heavy machine gun barrel." Anyway everything fits perfectly except the lower rail mount that the bottom rail screws to. I first thought the barrel nut was overtightend which wouldn't allow proper clearance between the gas tube ridges and the receiver for that piece to drop in. I broke down my upper, retorqued the barrel nut to 65ftlbs, and tried to refit. Still doesn't fit. The barrel nut is a DPMS mil-spec nut. When the nut is loosend the piece will drop right in, and then when you tighten the barrel nut with the lower rail mount in position, you can't torque the nut. I tried flipping the lower mount and it fits when you do that, however none of the screw holes line up to mount the rail. I am at a loss to make the lower mount fit unless I bevel an edge of the lower mount with a dremel to clearance it. The upper is a yankee hill upper and has no flaws. Wondered if you guys had an answer to this situation or other complaints like this? Perhaps I have a crazy mut of an upper and your setup won't fit unless it's custom fitted? Perhaps I need to change manufacturers of my barrel nut ?? Just wanted to check it out before I fit it because if I have to send anything to anyone I don't want to modify it. I love the rail and want to keep it. Any help would be greatly apppreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I am very mechanically inclined and have built AR's piece by piece. I've tried anything and everything from flipping the lower mount to breaking down the upper. Even though I mentioned a dremel I'm far off from "Bubba" :cb:

P.P.S. Top rail and mount drop right in, sits perfectly flush just like it should. All other components mount up perfectly fine.............perplexing. Rifle shoots 1MOA or less iron sighted on a 25m zero target. I just don't get it.

Pooze

Bump for visibility

MIDWEST contaced ME!!!!!!! In this day and age this is unheard of. I can't believe when I checked my e-mail today Troy had written me a message offering to take care of my problem. Free of charge, no questions asked. It is a scenario like this that creates a good customer for a very long time. My hats off to Midwest. Truly extraordinary that a random guy can post in an internet forum requesting help with a companies product and the company can be so johnny on the spot. Remarkable. I'm almost at a loss for words.

Thanks Troy, Thanks Midwest!

Customer 4 just about life - Pooze -

Glad they helped you out! That's great!

Just wanted to give you guys an update. As promised Troy sent out a replacement. I thought I was just getting a newly machined lower rail mounting piece. However, when I opened the box a completely new rail system was staring me in the face. I thought for sure I would be required to send my other one back....nope. And even better it bolted right up like it should. Awesome customer service from Midwest. Truly a happy customer here and a definite repeat buyer. Thanks Troy and thanks Midwest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Pooze

P.S. I'll post a pic of my rig here after I get my optic, and get it mounted.