sick-end

I need some advice.

I've lived in GA my entire life, and I love to hunt. In the area I live there is not any game that requires a large caliber. I want to get a rifle that will act as a multi-purpose rifle. I was seriously looking at the AR-15, but I am not sure on the regulations on using an assault type firearm in GA for hunting. I am in love with the 5.56/.223 and have shot on an AR platform many times before, but I never owned one before. Can someone tell me the regulations and what company would serve my purpose. Should I buy a rifle as a whole or should I build my own. Also, I like the 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf, is there any law against them?

What i would do id goto the DNR website and see if there is any regulations on the use of 22 caliber rifles for deer. Maybe call a local gun store and ask them if not.

If they say now to .223 then you always have various other ar calibers to pick from. the 50 is friggin a cannon.....308 would be good. I think for the deer down there a 6.8 would be a good choice as well.

I'm thinking .223 would not be legal as it's not powerful enough to be 100% able to kill first shot.

i think adding a 6.8 spc upper would be fine, you'll get two guns for the price of 1 1/2

What i would do id goto the DNR website and see if there is any regulations on the use of 22 caliber rifles for deer. Maybe call a local gun store and ask them if not.

If they say now to .223 then you always have various other ar calibers to pick from. the 50 is friggin a cannon.....308 would be good. I think for the deer down there a 6.8 would be a good choice as well.

Georgia hunting regs state any centerfire caliber .22 and larger is allowed for hunting deer and hogs.

There are no magazine capacity restrictions.

Rimfire is to be used for bobcat and fox.

Any Center Fire .22 works for deer, and I know a guy and that is all he hunts with. Biggest problem he has is that the .223 doesn't leave a very good blood trail to follow. I would suggest an upper in 7.62X39, larger bullet, and the distance for most shots is 100 yards or less. Me I use a bolt action Rem 700 in .308, haven't lost a deer yet.

Good Luck,

The only restriction that I know of for magazine capacity applies to shotguns, not rifles. As far as I know, you can take a fully decked out AR platform hunting here in GA if you want to.

My friend hunting hogs in the north GA mountains with an AR is an experience that you will never forget. :wink:

I picked up an Armalite AR-10(T) Carbine last week to hunt with near Barnsville. I have been using a AR15 Carbine in 6.8 SPC which is fine for anything in Georgia. It really depends on what you want to hunt and how much you want to spend.

You can buy a great bolt gun for less than you would pay for an AR. Also Good optics/mounts are going to cost as much as the rifle.

I'm thinking .223 would not be legal as it's not powerful enough to be 100% able to kill first shot.

i think adding a 6.8 spc upper would be fine, you'll get two guns for the price of 1 1/2

.223/5.56mm rounds are legal in GA for deer hunting. That's the round my brothers, sister, and I learned to hunt with. a .223 is more effective than a .30-06 and ranges of 25-200yds it will drop a deer instantly due to the rate it loses velocity. I highly recomend it. You have to remember that power of larger rounds will knock something down, but they can get back up. the tumbling effect of a .223 almost garentees a kill.

if you are going to be hunting on management land they may and most likely will have magazine restrictions for rifles.. they do in alabama

GA Must have changed the reg, when I lived there back in 2000 you could not hunt deer with anything smaller than .24 caliber.

If you're going to hunt with an AR in 5.56 I suggest being sure to get a 1:7 twist so you can shoot the heavier stuff like MK262 and other 70+ grain's.