psyfly

10mm Peters-Stahl build and New Member first post

Permit me to introduce myself.

Long-time shooter and collecter of various chamberings/platforms.

First-time owner of 10mm.

I will be surfing and lurking until I get enough posts to use the search function to try to get some info on my pistol.

It is a 1911 which was proofed by ULM in Germany in 1990 and appears to have been built by Peters-Stahl from Peters-Stahl, Springfield Armory, and Essex components. (I will endeavour to learn to upload images asap).

It runs flawlessly and accurately. I love it.

It is getting me into reloading.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

Best,

Will

Welcome to the forum.

Does your gun have the dual extractor arrangement and linkless design of the others you compared it too?

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies.

Description follows:

It is a 5" 1911.

The slide is clearly marked Springfield Armory on the right flat and 1911A1 on the left. The breech-face is 10mm.

It has a single extractor.

It has adjustable sights mounted which are marked with the Peters-Stahl logo.

The linkless barrel assembly has normal 1911-style lugs and is marked 10mm and marked with the Peters-Stahl Logo and ULM proof-mark.

The Essex frame is marked with the Peters-Stahl Logo and ULM proof marks.

Barrel, slide, and frame all carry a series of proof marks which indicate that it was proofed at ULM Proof House in W. Germany in 1990.

The pistol runs like clockwork and is accurate within my own abilities (that is, it groups as well as anything I have or have recently shot). I like it a lot.

I would appreciate any information. I have done searches and haven't gotten any information on this item. I can find some info on both the Springfield Armory Omega and the Springfield Armory Linkless. This is neither (but appears almost identical to the Linkless).

I have contacted Springfield armory and they deny any knowledge (The pistol has not been in their shop at all).

I have also attempted to contact a person identified as a distributor for Peters-Stahl here in Texas, but the information is apparently dated.

I have attempted to find a way to contact Peters-Stahl in Germany, so far without result.

From what I have learned, I believe I can assume that the pistol was built by Peters-Stahl (Barrel, sights, and frame all marked with Peters-Stahl Logo and all major parts bear consistent proof marks from ULM which indicate 1990 proof-date).

I don't know if it may have been part of a production run or if it was custom built.

I may never find out, of course, and won't be heartbroken if I don't.

I understand that I am unlikely to get any support for the pistol but have also inferred that I'm not very likely to need it.

It needs to be refinished, it has obviously been cleaned up from some extensive surface corrosion but is basically sound.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Best,

Will

Edited by psyfly

psyfly, welcome to the 10mm Talk Lounge. It sounds like your pistol might have been a pre-production prototype or hybrid. Is there anything special about the serial number? Without any evidence to the contrary, I would have it refurnished. It sounds like an excellent weapon. Are you planning on venturing into other 10mm chambered handguns? The 10mm is one of the most misunderstood, and underrated cartridges extant. Enjoy your experience here. :thumb:

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

psyfly: Welcome to our Forum. The Peters-Stahl 'Linkless' 10mm was one of the pistols designed as a 10mm from the ground up. IT has been mentioned that this may have been a "pre-production" experimental model. This may very well may be the case.

While the Peters-Stahl pistol is an inherently strong handgun, be careful not to 'overstress' the pistol's parts, as they may be difficult, if not impossible to replace. Look under Wolff Gunspring's offerings for replacment springs to keep the pistol perking right along.

Shoot it with care, and enjoy.

Scott

Welcome. :anim_wave:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Here are some attempts at picture taking:

It had Pachmayr grips which I replaced with an old pair I had on hand:

DSC01396Medium.jpg

Other side:

DSC01399Medium.jpg

Detail of trigger guard showing Peters-Stahl logo.

DSC01381Medium.jpg

I haven't had time to shoot it as much as I'd like, but have, so far, been well pleased. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the pistol and about 10mm and reloading, as well. I'm still trying to decide what kind of start to make and am considering a Lee "starter kit".

Thanks to all.

Best,

Will

This is my first post too, but that pistol looks a LOT like my Omega. It has the same slide lock and the only difference would appear to be the lack of "OMEGA" on the slide. By the way, http://www.petersstahl.com/ seems to be still in business. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Robert Wichert

10mm1.jpg. This is the one ive got. Edited by tenmag

psyfly, RobertWichert & tenmag, :welcome: you all to the forum!

By the way psyfly, nice looking Peters-Stahl 10mm... :thumb:

Enjoy the forum, best regards! :)

Thanks for the welcome, i'm just glad i found a place where people arent downing the 10mm. It was almost a shock to find this post because i have an almost identicle pistol and also know very little about it.