Gran Torino

Cleaning question...

I've been cleaning my AR's with Break Free CLP and when needed I use M-Pro 7 cleaner. Of course thet get oiled/wiped down upon completion. One of they guys I work with uses brake cleaner from Auto Zone or wherever to clean his initially. I thought I heard or read somewhere that could corrode/pit firing pins and other parts. Am I wrong? Is it ok to use regular automotive "brake cleaner"? :unsure:

I have or over 10 years now.

Not a problem for me.

I use gun cleaner on guns and brake cleaner on brakes but that is just me.

I have or over 10 years now.

Not a problem for me.

I use it to.

Ever have a problem with it damaging the finish on metal parts? How about about plastic parts or wood finishes? I've never tried it because I thought that might be an issue.

First question is, do you have some sort of ultra-nasty stuff that won’t come off or are you looking to save a buck by using a $4 can of brake cleaner vs a $10 can of XX-gun cleaner?

But on to your question: I have a friend that use loves brake cleaner. Uses it on EVEYRTHING and he shoots a terrific amount per week. After shooting one day he sprayed some brake cleaner on a new-to-him AR with rather disastrous results. He didn't realize that the receiver had been refinished at one point. Whoever did it didn't anodize the finish. It was some sort of spray on stuff. It LOOKED ok but it did not hold up against brake cleaner. I don't recall if he took the plastic off. I would to be on the safe side.

Personally I use M-Pro 7 because I like to breathe fresh air while cleaning my guns. But that’s me.

I run the slip 2000 lube and Carbon buster best stuff I have found yet.

Now if the bolt is nasty then you need This

Yes it does work and yes I have several one for each cleaning kit.

Dirty bolts on DI AR's ARE a bear sometimes. I'd use the carburetor cleaner on it, but brake cleaner does nothing for carbon, far as I know. :unsure: Seems some odd stuff to use on a rifle.

Dirty bolts on DI AR's ARE a bear sometimes. I'd use the carburetor cleaner on it, but brake cleaner does nothing for carbon, far as I know. :unsure: Seems some odd stuff to use on a rifle.

Actually brake cleaner works just as good as carb cleaner without the film that carb cleaner leaves behind.

I've used both on M16's & ended up using the brake cleaner more as it was cheaper :laugh: :laugh:

Just make sure ya oil em good afterward as the brake/carb cleaner removes all traces of oil and rust is a happening really quick ifin ya don't oil...and oil nicely, not lightly.