kpowell03

building upper, have questions

ok, so thank you all for your help in piecing my lower/putting it together, definately needed punches. Anyways it's time to move onto the upper. Can anyone give me a complete list of parts needed to put the upper together? After that i will start to piece them together and ask you all for some input/knowledge as whether or not they will be compatible or a good deal. Thanks. Will post pictures when it's done/get my camera working.

Sorry for not giving more info. I want to use a 14.5" barrel, add the flash suppressor to make it 16", and want a flat top upper. And some questions: Do I need the barrel to be chrome lined? What are free float hand guards? What are the average prices I should be paying for these parts? Thanks.

You need an upper (you can save yourself some trouble and just buy an assembled upper receiver for about $10 more than a stripped one), charging handle, bolt and bolt carrier, barrel nut (most of the free float fore-ends come with one), gas block, correct length gas tube and roll pin and the tools to put it all together (barrel wrench, action vise block, vise, etc...).

The flash hider must be permanently attached to the barrel and theoretically that must be done prior to attaching the barrel to the upper to be completely legal. Otherwise you, assuming that you have a lower, you would be in constructive possession of a short barreled rifle. Make sure you slide the barrel nut onto the barrel prior to installing the muzzle device or you will quickly find yourself in a bit of a pickle and really upset with yourself.

Free float handguards only attach to the rifle at the upper receiver and do not touch the barrel at all; as such they do not impart any stress on the barrel which could possibly affect point of impact (not really an issue until you start talking about pretty long range). You don't need a chrome lined barrel unless you plan on running a LOT of round through the rifle. By a lot I'm talking over 10k.

You can get an assembled upper for under $100. $20-100 on the gas block depending on what you want. $15 for the gas tube. $60-300 for a free float fore-end depending on what you want from a basic float tub to a high dollar quad rail. Barrel can run anywhere from $150-550 depending on what you want. Bolt carrier group from $125-275 or so.

You need an upper (you can save yourself some trouble and just buy an assembled upper receiver for about $10 more than a stripped one), charging handle, bolt and bolt carrier, barrel nut (most of the free float fore-ends come with one), gas block, correct length gas tube and roll pin and the tools to put it all together (barrel wrench, action vise block, vise, etc...).

The flash hider must be permanently attached to the barrel and theoretically that must be done prior to attaching the barrel to the upper to be completely legal. Otherwise you, assuming that you have a lower, you would be in constructive possession of a short barreled rifle. Make sure you slide the barrel nut onto the barrel prior to installing the muzzle device or you will quickly find yourself in a bit of a pickle and really upset with yourself.

The gas block is usually a problem unless it is 2 piece.

ok, so thank you all for your help in piecing my lower/putting it together, definately needed punches. Anyways it's time to move onto the upper. Can anyone give me a complete list of parts needed to put the upper together? After that i will start to piece them together and ask you all for some input/knowledge as whether or not they will be compatible or a good deal. Thanks. Will post pictures when it's done/get my camera working.

Check out this link...

It is not EXACTLY what your asking for but it is a really good collection and the all the info you will need (and More) is right there.

The gas block is usually a problem unless it is 2 piece.

Yep forgot about putting the gas block on after the barrel nut but before the muzzle device also.

Thank you all for the fast replays, just some more questions. Does the upper receiver need to have M4 feed ramps? also what is the difference between carbine, spectre, and mid length wehn speaking of the hand guards? Thanks.

Edited by kpowell03

Thank you all for the fast replays, just some more questions. Does the upper receiver need to have M4 feed ramps? also what is the difference between carbine, spectre, and mid length wehn speaking of the hand guards? Thanks.

If the upper has M4 cuts, the barrel must have them. If the upper doesnt, you can either have them or not. See attached pict

med_gallery_256_101_104012.jpg

Carbine length fore ends stop just short of the gas block on a carbine length gas system. Specter is a Yankee Hill term for using slightly longer fore ends on a carbine gas system with a low profile gas block so the fore end covers the gas block. Mid-length is a rail that stops just short of the gas block on a mid-length gas system.

My favorite look is taking the Specter one step further and using a rifle length rail with a 16" barrel.