SLVRBULLT

Rate the Newbie

Hey all,

My first post on the forum. I carried an M4 in the army, so I'm familiar with the working parts, firing it, cleaning it, etc. But having been out for about 6 years now, I'm definitely lacking when it comes to understanding what's new to the market, and whether any of it is actually worth the price paid. That said, I'd like anyone willing to rate my new purchase. This weapon is mainly for plinking and just shooting stuff (and you'll notice I stayed cheap on most everything) when I want to have some fun, but I'd like to be able to depend on it if I ever needed to as well. So without further blabbing, here's what I've ordered...

Doublestar DSCCAR16 HBAR

Barska 2x tactical red dot w/ rail mount (AC11324)

Magpul PMAGs

Magpul MOE Handguard

Strikeforce collapsible Buttstock and grip

Haven't bought a rear set yet. Suggestions welcome, even though I'll be going through old posts here about them in the meantime.

Welcome! Doublestar makes a nice gun. We love pictures of guns here, and would love to see yours.

Welcome to the Armory. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I've had mixed success with Barska, but for a plinking weapon that red-dot should be just fine. If you decide you like the 2x red dot, may I suggest saving up for a Vortex Strikefire? Much better quality than the Barska, and you can outfit your weapon without breaking the bank, unlike an Acog or EoTech. I should warn you, these guys can make you go off the deep end with the BRD, it's like a drug :laugh: I've built 2 in the past 4 months and said after each one it was the last. I'm scraping up parts now for a Grendel build. Told the wife It'll be the last one, I swear :whistling:

Welcome.....These guys here are great, all the knowledge none of the attitude.

:welcome: to the Armory.

:welcome: Good to see more new people join up, I can now say welcome too. I like you am scouring, and picking up all kinds of good stuff. By the way I have been out now for 20 years, 2 more and I'll have been out longer than I was in.

Thanks guys.

I'll definitely post up some pics when everything comes in. should have it all by Wednesday. Guess I picked a hell of a time to order all this, you know, with the record snow and all ;)

I'll let you know how the Barska works out for me. I knew by the price it wouldn't be top quality, but I'm still trying to get a feel for what I actually need. The good thing is, it was only $70, so if it doesn't work out my wife shouldn't give me too much grief when i get a new one.

Damn i can't wait to get this stuff.

:welcome: to the ARmory dude!!

:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:

eta: disregard :worthlesswithoutpics[1]: as I just read you last post...

Edited by StagModel4

:welcome: to the Armory. You should really like this forum. It has some great info, and the folks are very friendly and helpful.

And, have fun with BRD. In 6 months, I've got 2 and working on a new build as I'm writing this. I'll have a new Noveske build completed by the end of next week.

Jeff

:welcome: to the Armory :) Congrats on the Double Star :thumb: She will do you right :oh yea:

Doublestars are nice AR's - I used to own a CAR-HBAR of theirs. Try to move UP from that Barska ASAP, though. :confused:

And, :worthlesswithoutpics[1]:

Welcome.

I'd just be echoing what everyone else has told you. Good rifle and gear, but the Barska can be hit or miss.

wouldn't it be nice if the military let you keep all the toys you got to play with when you left? Oh well, WELCOME and good luck with the BRD :m4:

Alright everyone. The Doublestar is in hand! I'll tell you up front it's got a great finish and everything on it seems to be tight. I promise to have some pics up real soon as well as some comments on it's operation.

I can tell already that the Barska isn't going to cut it for me. The sight pic seems pretty dim/fuzzy, and the red dot doesn't seem to be very sensitive, i.e. when i rotate the weapon slightly left or right, the red dot doesn't move. However, I like the fact that the 2x is removable leaving you with a 1x optic if you choose. Keep in mind, this is my first experience with a red dot so I may not know exactly what I'm talking about yet ;)