AR15Armory.com

Acc

claurio21

the most important thing attatched to the gun is you. all of the toys don't matter if you don't have the will or the skill to use your weapon when the need arises.

practice makes perfect :thumb:

Thats what I believe but i see many ar's out there that look nice but look 15 pounds and needed to know why they have it, is it show or survival?

Thats what I believe but i see many ar's out there that look nice but look 15 pounds and needed to know why they have it, is it show or survival?

Some of the goodies have a real application. Some don't. The environment for the usage of the firearm makes a big difference. A designated marksman does not benefit from a forward hand grip when engaging at 300 yards or so off of sand bags. A house clearing guy (like most of us might be) does not benefit from three types of sights on the upper. A scope, a laser and a red dot just don't make things quicker for you if you are shooting across that 30' living room!!

I believe that the KISS method is the way to go. I would be considered a heretic in my approach. I have a 10" XM 177 M16 that I shoot in matches and have "handy". It has a standard carrying handle with a see through mount on top. I have an original (circa 1982) Aimpoint on the handle. It works well for down and dirty and with the irons available it does well on targets out to 250 or so. It is light and whippy and just floats along.

I use a full sized heavy barrel AR in matches with the NM hand guards, a Leo 4.5 X 14 X 50 on the flattop and a PDP 3 big dot attached to the front right side of the hand guard. It carries an S type Harris bipod at all times. Rifle weighs in at 11.5 pounds. It is slow on the down and dirty but really turns it on when the range gets stretched. Not a good rifle for in-house SD but given that is all I had I'd be out there doing a workout with up close stuff simulating my house challenges.

Just some thoughts on how I view the extra goodies. The full race tactical stuff is neat but I just can't make the leap for the extra $$'s on stuff that I see so little need for in my activities. I've thought about doing the full tilt POF 10" upper for my M16 and still might just for the coolness but I doubt it would improve the utility of the piece that much. I may well be wrong but until I get to "play" with one extensively it will be on the back burner.

Greg

Some of the goodies have a real application. Some don't. The environment for the usage of the firearm makes a big difference. A designated marksman does not benefit from a forward hand grip when engaging at 300 yards or so off of sand bags. A house clearing guy (like most of us might be) does not benefit from three types of sights on the upper. A scope, a laser and a red dot just don't make things quicker for you if you are shooting across that 30' living room!!

I believe that the KISS method is the way to go. I would be considered a heretic in my approach. I have a 10" XM 177 M16 that I shoot in matches and have "handy". It has a standard carrying handle with a see through mount on top. I have an original (circa 1982) Aimpoint on the handle. It works well for down and dirty and with the irons available it does well on targets out to 250 or so. It is light and whippy and just floats along.

I use a full sized heavy barrel AR in matches with the NM hand guards, a Leo 4.5 X 14 X 50 on the flattop and a PDP 3 big dot attached to the front right side of the hand guard. It carries an S type Harris bipod at all times. Rifle weighs in at 11.5 pounds. It is slow on the down and dirty but really turns it on when the range gets stretched. Not a good rifle for in-house SD but given that is all I had I'd be out there doing a workout with up close stuff simulating my house challenges.

Just some thoughts on how I view the extra goodies. The full race tactical stuff is neat but I just can't make the leap for the extra $$'s on stuff that I see so little need for in my activities. I've thought about doing the full tilt POF 10" upper for my M16 and still might just for the coolness but I doubt it would improve the utility of the piece that much. I may well be wrong but until I get to "play" with one extensively it will be on the back burner.

Greg

that is good to hear. Sight with backup irons. but that is just what i believe if I hear a good argument, I am always willing to change.

I can obtain a decent sight picture just about as fast with my BUIS as I can with my red dot. I'm considering taking off the red dot and going to the range to see how well I can do at between 25 and 100 yards with just the BUIS.

I agree with KISS for a fighting gun. And the lighter the better.

I can obtain a decent sight picture just about as fast with my BUIS as I can with my red dot. I'm considering taking off the red dot and going to the range to see how well I can do at between 25 and 100 yards with just the BUIS.

I agree with KISS for a fighting gun. And the lighter the better.

I think the dot is a tad quicker but I also think that to do well past 75 yards or so you need a small dot (like 1 MOA) and the big dot (6 MOA or bigger) just is not precise enough for my needs.

The irons add a range advantage when you get out there. I (being the gamesman that I can be) have a 3X adapter for my Aimpoint and it along with the 1 MOA dot does quite nicely on matches out to two or so. The 3X is not the way to go for most uses but it can stretch that dot way out there in my experience.

Greg

My "serious" carbine, has a light, BUIS, and an EOTech and a sling.

Other than that it has CTR stock, Ergo grip (just because I like the way it fits my hand), and MI two piece rails. 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist M4 profiled barrel.

Nothing real superfluous, nothing that I consider cheesy except the forward handle, but It comes off and goes on as I change my mind as to whether or not I like it.

2zi3sjc.jpg

Light isn't mounted in the picture, but it's a Pentagon light attached by way of usinf a 1" scope ring (not an expensive or tacticool mount, but functional).

I wouldn't feel any worse off with a standard pistol grip, and standard M4 stock, just nice to have the upgrades for personal preference.

Edited by SSGN_Doc

Junk Accessories is what will get you in trouble,

Never Never buy junk, everyone buying anything for what they consider is their SHTF weapon so always buy top of the line Quality accsoories.

What do you folks think this weighs?

gallery_1_11_114704.gif

Empty, I'm gonna guess, just shy of 8 lbs with aimpoint and magnifyer

My "serious" carbine, has a light, BUIS, and an EOTech and a sling.

Other than that it has CTR stock, Ergo grip (just because I like the way it fits my hand), and MI two piece rails. 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist M4 profiled barrel.

Nothing real superfluous, nothing that I consider cheesy except the forward handle, but It comes off and goes on as I change my mind as to whether or not I like it.

2zi3sjc.jpg

Light isn't mounted in the picture, but it's a Pentagon light attached by way of usinf a 1" scope ring (not an expensive or tacticool mount, but functional).

I wouldn't feel any worse off with a standard pistol grip, and standard M4 stock, just nice to have the upgrades for personal preference.

SSGN, how do you like your MI rails? I have had my eye on those for awhile now and that will probably be my next upgrade.