atacamadan

HK MP10--is it good or bad?

Hi Guys--I'm new to the Forum. I was on another Forum several years ago, but dropped away with work, family etc... occupying my time. A friend of mine is an assistant chief of police and has worked a lot with SWAT teams and the FBI. I asked him about the MP10 and he said it was no good. That is couldn't handle the higher power and pressure of the 10mm.

Is it still being made? Have they fixed the problems and is it now reliable? Can you get a civilian version or does someone make a good copy? I'd love to have one to complement my G20 when I go out bush (I live in South America) and not have to carry different ammo.

If there is info on this already I apologize for being repetitive, but as a newbie I can't do a search on the Forum until I have 10 posts or replies. Thanks--Dan

:welcome: Glad to have you here on your new forum !

I am surprised to here that about the MP10. I don't

think any non-police can get them. There were clones

available as a MP10 pistol type by Coharie.

:welcome:

The MP5-10 has been discontinued for ~10 years now, if memory serves. Having never fired one, I couldn't attest to the functionality first hand, but I have reviewed various FBI and FBI/HRT footage in which it appears perfectly reliable at least with moderate rounds.

Honestly, though, H&K weaponry has seldom impressed me. If the MP5 could handle full power loads, I would be impressed and surprised, as its mass doesn't strike me as anything beyond the MP5 in 9mm, save perhaps a tad bit more of front-heaviness.

*sigh* Too many bad guys get spared the 10mm's brutal strength in favor of that darn 9mm.

Edited by Altair

:welcome:

The MP5-10 has been discontinued for ~10 years now, if memory serves. Having never fired one, I couldn't attest to the functionality first hand, but I have reviewed various FBI and FBI/HRT footage in which it appears perfectly reliable at least with moderate rounds.

Honestly, though, H&K weaponry has seldom impressed me. If the MP5 could handle full power loads, I would be impressed and surprised, as its mass doesn't strike me as anything beyond the MP5 in 9mm, save perhaps a tad bit more of front-heaviness.

*sigh* Too many bad guys get spared the 10mm's brutal strength in favor of that darn 9mm.

Thanks for the replies! I contacted Coharie to see if they still make that. I agree, seems a shame that no one considers using the 10mm for a carbine. I guess I could always go with a Mec-Tec CCR ...

If you can find a de-milled kit, you can have one built on a aftermarket receiver. You could also pick up a MP5/40 kit and have it rebuilt on a new receiver with a 10mm barrel. You would need to also pick up the correct locking piece(s).

I have one built from a demilled police department gun on a SW receiver. I have heard that the 10mm can be hard on the receivers, and in fact 'dimpeled' mine when I first added the stock. I was using fairly mild ammunition with the LO impulse locking piece installed. It turned out that the recoil rod/spring assembly needed to be replaced. I also added a buffer to the fixed stock, and only shoot it with the HI impulse locking piece installed. No problems since then.

It's a fun little shooter, and is very mild mannered, even with fairly stout loads.

I think the .40 version was a little less brutal on operators and equipment, but I'd STILL love to have a F/A version myself! :laugh:

If you can find a de-milled kit, you can have one built on a aftermarket receiver. You could also pick up a MP5/40 kit and have it rebuilt on a new receiver with a 10mm barrel. You would need to also pick up the correct locking piece(s).

I have one built from a demilled police department gun on a SW receiver. I have heard that the 10mm can be hard on the receivers, and in fact 'dimpeled' mine when I first added the stock. I was using fairly mild ammunition with the LO impulse locking piece installed. It turned out that the recoil rod/spring assembly needed to be replaced. I also added a buffer to the fixed stock, and only shoot it with the HI impulse locking piece installed. No problems since then.

It's a fun little shooter, and is very mild mannered, even with fairly stout loads.

Sounds good! I guess it would be hard to come by an original MP5/10. What do you mean by having a MP5/40 being rebuilt? Do you know anyone I could contact to do this? My apologies for my gunsmithing ignorance. Thanks,

Regards, Dan

Sorry Dan, I hadn't seen your reply and questions.

There are a couple of things you could do:

1.) You could pick up a MP5/40 kit, which may be more common than a MP5/10, along with a new receiver and 10mm barrel, and have someone rebuild it as a MP5/10. HKParts.net has MP5/40 kits available (both fixed stock and collapsing), but I didn't see any barrels. You would also need the correct locking piece(s). Jayson Cotter at Investment Grade Firearms did my build.

2.) You could pick up a MP5/40 clone. Atlantic firearms has 'pistols' from Turner Fabrication and Vector listed, but you would probably have to call and see what is available. I have read that Jayson can ream the chamber out to 10mm specs, but I'm not sure how that would work without the flutes extending the full chamber length. You could ask him about it though. If that works, it would probably be the least expensive option. Again, you would need to get the correct locking piece(s).

It would take some time and cash, but there are options out there to get to a MP5/10.

Hi Guys--I'm new to the Forum. I was on another Forum several years ago, but dropped away with work, family etc... occupying my time. A friend of mine is an assistant chief of police and has worked a lot with SWAT teams and the FBI. I asked him about the MP10 and he said it was no good. That is couldn't handle the higher power and pressure of the 10mm.

Is it still being made? Have they fixed the problems and is it now reliable? Can you get a civilian version or does someone make a good copy? I'd love to have one to complement my G20 when I go out bush (I live in South America) and not have to carry different ammo.

If there is info on this already I apologize for being repetitive, but as a newbie I can't do a search on the Forum until I have 10 posts or replies. Thanks--Dan

The 10 mm MP5 was the hardest hitting and accurate sub-machine guns of all time.Its flat trajectory and ability to punch through 18.5 inches of 10% ballistic gel @ 100 yards was

nothing to snicker at...There are still a lot of 3 letter federal agencies with them in the armories and I'm sure the SEALs and Delta boys have a few laying about.

The only reason the FBI changed to the 40SW (a shortened version of the 10mm)was that the new adapted version of the 10mm duty guns was too much for some of the smaller framed individuals assigned these new handguns (both in recoil and hand fit)

The MP-5 version in 10MM and 40SW were very dependable and came with locking pieces specifically for the duty ammo being used. HI for anything above 1200fps and LO for 1200 and below .

You should contact Adam at HK parts http://www.hkparts.net some times he has kits and MP5-10 parts and barrels the only game in town for receivers is Cohaire's Todd Bailey.If you ask him politely and have the $s he might build you one .Semi-auto of course.You would probably have to bid on one (Gun Broker auction) because of export laws and even still, it might prove to be a hard road to travel check that out first.

I have a 10mm MP5 he built me and it kicks ass.

PS as I read through some of these replies some one suggested turning a barrel, a barrel that doesn't have flutes in the bore will not work!!!!! never go that route.Its part of the design, (the cartridge floats on a layer of gas the flutes provide) and will not extract with out the flutes or cuts in the barrel.

Good luck

The 10 mm MP5 is the light and all others dwell in its shadow

Later

I have the Coharie 10mm SBR (CA5-10) and I had one big problem after I got it. After the first shot the round being chambered would always get stuck on the edge of the barrel (breech) when it was cycling. The breech had to be worked on some to create a track like ramp so the 10mm flat nosed cartridge would not get stuck. This was my only bad experience with the 10mm Coharie, but besides that it is a great gun. We tried it with my gun dealers sear pack (SOT pack i think) and bolt carrier when i first got it and it jammed up every shot but after he had it fixed for me it ran great. I will forever be saving my pennies to get a transferable sear pack, then more clones. I am currently awaiting a .40 S&W barrel to change the 10mm with because the ammo prices are through the roof. The 10mm ammo never did any damage to my gun and it is a blast to shoot, also with me being a bigger guy the recoil felt great and it's dead on. Although, the forward grip was super loose when i got it so I managed to find some hight temp resistant rubber and cut some 1/10in x 3in pieces and put them into the crevice where the back of that pistol grip goes under the barrel. I wish I could get a restamp done to make it say "HK MP5K 10/40" on the top even though i know HK never made those, but my dealer said that was a "no-no". Or the restamping would be alot of paperwork and maybe a new tax stamp for the new stampings, still waiting on the paper to come back for a 10/40 suppressor. If you have the cash to throw away or if you reload then the coharie CA5-10 is a great choice. I hope I was able to help and if I can answer anything about this gun I will try my best.

But, I am a new member also...I just saw this and wanted to comment on it. The HK MP5 family of guns are absolutely awesome. I also have the Tactical HK USP .45 with a gemtech suppressor. I am definitely an HK fan. If anyone would be interested in trading a Colt SP1 transferable machine gun lower for a nice transferable sear pack I would probably be open to that :) Thanks for having me!

The are still out there, and are very reliable.

<--------------

Edited by BRONZ

Dan,

The original 1400+ MP5-10s that the FBI took delivery on were developed around the 10MM light loading that the FBI had ordered for the pistols. HK produced two different locking pieces. The original one and a second commonly refereed to has the 10mm high impulse. This second locking piece works fine with 10MM. The original locking piece is what went into the MP5-40s that HK produced. It is often refereed to as the 10MM low impulse locking piece.

I have fired several of the original MP5-10s and they all worked as they were supposed to. Mine is built on a clone receiver.

MP5-10l.jpg

MP5-10r.jpg

I have MP5s 9MM, 10MM, 40S&W and 357SIG. The 9MM is a HK registered receiver the others are all built on clone receivers.

Dan,

The original 1400+ MP5-10s that the FBI took delivery on were developed around the 10MM light loading that the FBI had ordered for the pistols. HK produced two different locking pieces. The original one and a second commonly refereed to has the 10mm high impulse. This second locking piece works fine with 10MM. The original locking piece is what went into the MP5-40s that HK produced. It is often refereed to as the 10MM low impulse locking piece.

I have fired several of the original MP5-10s and they all worked as they were supposed to. Mine is built on a clone receiver.

MP5-10l.jpg

MP5-10r.jpg

I have MP5s 9MM, 10MM, 40S&W and 357SIG. The 9MM is a HK registered receiver the others are all built on clone receivers.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep pondering on how I do this when I am back home and have time. If anyone does happen to own an MP10 I sure would be interested in buying that..... Regards, Dan

FA's receivers would crack. I have yet to see a FA MP10 that does not have welds on it's body where the cracks where repaired.