Sign in to follow this  
180FMJ

Primer and powder question

I'm in the experimental / newbie phase of reloading for the 10mm.... so......

I'm getting ready to place an order for primers and some more powder. Because almost EVERYTHING is out of stock I'd like to double my order on primers (to make the hasmat fees more worth it)

I'm going to placed an order for 1,000 - 10mm brass from starline in a few min. ... waiting game until that is in stock.

I have 1lb of blue dot powder already. .

I have a $100.00 gift cet. from Cabela's so I'm getting 1 more lb of powder and 2000 primers from them.

I'm thinking about getting (2) 1000 packs of Federal large pistol primers and (1) pound of Accurate no. 7.

Do you guys like the Federal primers for your 10mm? (i'm shooting a G20) Federal has always been a great factory bullet for me in many other calibers.

If you guys can can recommend other primers and or powder that may work better I would appreciate your input.

THANKS!!

welcome!

i'm right here w/you! new to the forum and the weapon but not to reloading.

you're starting out better than me; i bought accurate #5(should have bought 9, or 7). you have blue dot-recommended.

some have said magnum primers, others have said not necessary. i don't know; i have both but will hold off on that decision.

what bullet weight? i have 180 since i load for .40. i also have power pistol powder but i heard it's better for lower weight bullets, which ones i don't know.

please let me know if i may confuse you further!

do you know there is a 10mm reloading forum on glocktalk? also the general reloading forum on ar15.com, which is where i heard about this one, maybe?

OP,

hit back, go down and check out any posts by TaosGlock=superb information and testing. i don't know if elevation plays a part(he's in the mountains, lucky bastid!)but just ask him. he seems like a great guy!

i think he'll experiment for you when he has time.

I have also heard the mag primer vs reg large pistol primers to. Not sure? That is my main question / concern. What primers are best? I think for now I'll stick with regular large pistol primers.

I'll be shoting 200, 180 and 150 grain Nosler and Hornady JHP's.

I'll search through the 10mm reloading forum on glock talk and any posts by TaosGlock on this forum.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I finally get everything.

THANKS GUYS!

Edited by 180FMJ

I have also heard the mag primer vs reg large pistol primers to. Not sure? That is my main question / concern. What primers are best? I think for now I'll stick with regular large pistol primers.

I'll be shoting 200, 180 and 150 grain Nosler and Hornady JHP's.

I'll search through the 10mm reloading forum on glock talk and any posts by TaosGlock on this forum.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I finally get everything.

THANKS GUYS!

About the only thing that I've really found about using magnum vs standard primers in 45 and 10mm, is that I get less powder fouling. I don't load nuclear loads, and most of the loads that I load for both are mid velocity loads. I have both mag and std primers, just usually use the std primers for bartering. I generally use 155 to 180 grain jacket/lead projectiles.

Charles

I'm in the experimental / newbie phase of reloading for the 10mm.... so......

I'm getting ready to place an order for primers and some more powder. Because almost EVERYTHING is out of stock I'd like to double my order on primers (to make the hasmat fees more worth it)

I'm going to placed an order for 1,000 - 10mm brass from starline in a few min. ... waiting game until that is in stock.

I have 1lb of blue dot powder already. .

I have a $100.00 gift cet. from Cabela's so I'm getting 1 more lb of powder and 2000 primers from them.

I'm thinking about getting (2) 1000 packs of Federal large pistol primers and (1) pound of Accurate no. 7.

Do you guys like the Federal primers for your 10mm? (i'm shooting a G20) Federal has always been a great factory bullet for me in many other calibers.

If you guys can can recommend other primers and or powder that may work better I would appreciate your input.

THANKS!!

Last year I had an order in with Cabelas for Primers, and bullets....They canceled my order on the primers after three months back order, then on the bullets, they shipped 1000, but they were lost in Houston via UPS....they never got them back in stock, canceled my order and had to refund my money.

Since then, I don't order anything through them.

It may have gotten better since then. At least I hope so.

Midway has Remington primers in stock. I ended up ordering 2,000 large pistol primers and some more accurate no 7 the other day. Saving my cabellas gift cert. for some grouper trolling plugs. Going to experminent with some magnum primers and some slower burning powder in a while.

THANKS!!!

One of the big reasons to choose magnum primers vs. regular ones deals with the type of powder you use. Most powder (flake especially) does fine with regular primers, but a few, harder to ignite powders (usually ball type?) will require magnum. Be sure to read the load data to see what they used when they created the load as it will specify which you should use.