Sign in to follow this  
.44Magnum

10mm Beretta?

My aunt (who is not a gun afficianado and makes no such claims) mentioned in casual firearms conversations she owned a Beretta 10mm. I haven't been able to find anything on a 10mm Beretta. Maybe she's mistaken? Also i've been considering a 10mm but have always been attracted to large magnums (my ruger 44 mag, colt 357, so on and so forth). would the 10mm disappoint? I was really disappointed with the 45 ACP:( can someone give me a sales pitch and tell me why i NEED a 10? :nt:

You can only get a 10mm Beretta if you convert a 40 S&W Beretta.

If you like magnums, consider the 10mm a magnum in a semi-auto platform. (In some states it's the only auto that's legal for deer hunting).

However, if you like revolvers the S&W 610 can't be beat. The most accurate revolver I own (more accurate than my .357 or .44).

You can only get a 10mm Beretta if you convert a 40 S&W Beretta.

If you like magnums, consider the 10mm a magnum in a semi-auto platform. (In some states it's the only auto that's legal for deer hunting).

However, if you like revolvers the S&W 610 can't be beat. The most accurate revolver I own (more accurate than my .357 or .44).

Not possible. The 10mm/.45 ACP/.38 Super cartridge family are longer lengths overall than the 9mm/.40 S&W family.

The 10mm would would not fit in the Beretta .40 magazine or the grip frame with any modification. Just too long overall. Even if it were (hypothetically) possible, the frame and slide of even a .40 S&W beretta would not take the pressures and excessive battering of a 10mm.

While I didn't take a picture, I did just try several different 10mm loads in a beretta 92FS full sized mag and the bullet protrudes out over the front of the mag body by .125" (+/-)

His handle is the "Brigadier". He converted a Beretta 92F, if I'm not mistaken. P. M. him for more info.

All things are possible with enough money, perseverance, and knowledge.

I just wouldn't be able to do it... :crying:

All things are possible with enough money, perseverance, and knowledge.

I just wouldn't be able to do it... :crying:

Niether were they/him able to do it. Let me say properly and effectively.

Let me try and be more clear without making enemies. Any bubba/hack (no offense, just an industry description) myself included, can rechamber a barrel, hog out material to make something fit, but that is not in my mind nor my master pistolsmith friends a legitimate safe, and fully functional conversion.

After reading the comments on the YouTube vids posted here, it was abundantly clear that in order for the modified cz/witness magazine to fit in the beretta 96 (which btw is the same as a 92) you are changing the structural strength and integrity of the frame immensly. IS THERE AN ENGINEER IN THE HOUSE BESIDES ME???

So just shooting a couple (I saw one unidentified round inappropriately hand breach loaded) 10mm rounds through a rechambered barrel, weakening a frame, and admitting that sustained consitent feeding and ejecting has not been achieved is proof of a confirmed conversion? Plus, based on the amount of material I can only assume was removed in the grip frame up to the ramp area to meet up with the breach area, will certainly cause (possibly catastraphic) frame failure in a short period of time. To combat/improve that, you'd have to weld in an external reinforcement, but that would change the grip size quite a bit, and make the 7075T aluminum frame more brittle.

We can argue the semantics of the word "conversion" all day long, but in the end, this is not what I would call a successful, reliably functional, and certainly not safe "10mm Beretta conversion"

YMMV

Edited by Viper1357

Alright she was mistaken then, but the 10mm does seem pretty good for a semi, the 9mm i shot was, oh how to put it,...disappointing beyond belief

I wasn't the one to post the links above, I was simply implying many of the things we do every day now were once thought impossible. From me, it was a very rare moment of optimism. :cool:

Hey, I'm not here to be a know-it-all, nor snuff out any optimism. I was just being realistic, and I think I came across wrong.

I love the 10mm, and would love to see a fully functional and safe beretta 10mm conversion myself. I looked into creating a .38 super conversion on a 92FS some years back with the same conclusion I spouted here about the 10mm.

I too was able to rechamber the barrel, but ran into the same grip frame issues, and while I could have cobbled it together, it would have been unsafe to fire without major frame reinforcement, but that would have made the grip too large, or weakened it in some other way. So I was just reliving what I found.

So I concede it is possible to some degree, but just not overly feasable for safety or total functional reliabilty. Many other better host gun bases.

I have a Coonan .357 magnum semi-auto, and a S/A OMEGA 10mm semi-auto, I love the big Semis!

Sorry if I came across wrong... :sad:

Edited by Viper1357

My aunt (who is not a gun afficianado and makes no such claims) mentioned in casual firearms conversations she owned a Beretta 10mm. I haven't been able to find anything on a 10mm Beretta. Maybe she's mistaken? Also i've been considering a 10mm but have always been attracted to large magnums (my ruger 44 mag, colt 357, so on and so forth). would the 10mm disappoint? I was really disappointed with the 45 ACP:( can someone give me a sales pitch and tell me why i NEED a 10? :nt:

Basically the 10mm and its brother the 9x25 are the most powerful cartridges you can get in an auto pistol while still maintaining a reasonable size. Plus if it gets too expensive for you, just throw in a 40 barrel and shoot all the WWB you want.

Not possible. The 10mm/.45 ACP/.38 Super cartridge family are longer lengths overall than the 9mm/.40 S&W family.

The 10mm would would not fit in the Beretta .40 magazine or the grip frame with any modification. Just too long overall. Even if it were (hypothetically) possible, the frame and slide of even a .40 S&W beretta would not take the pressures and excessive battering of a 10mm.

While I didn't take a picture, I did just try several different 10mm loads in a beretta 92FS full sized mag and the bullet protrudes out over the front of the mag body by .125" (+/-)

Actually that depends on the manufacture and the gun! reason I know is I contacted kimber about the possibility of converting my Stainless target 40 cal to a 10mm. They said no problem, new barrel, spring/s, and a 10mm mag in teh mag well. I made a point to ask if the 10mm mag will work in the 40 cal mag well on my frame and was told UES. now i am no expert BUT that is what the people at Kimber told me.

I'm betting she has a 9mm, and probably doesn't even know what THAT means. :rolleyes:

His handle is the "Brigadier". He converted a Beretta 92F, if I'm not mistaken. P. M. him for more info.

It was a 96FS Brigadier Inox, hence my username.

So just shooting a couple (I saw one unidentified round inappropriately hand breach loaded) 10mm rounds through a rechambered barrel, weakening a frame, and admitting that sustained consitent feeding and ejecting has not been achieved is proof of a confirmed conversion?

That was the first time the gun ever got fired. I've never taken a conversion or scratch build shooting for the first time without finding a few minor issues to fix. The gun's issues were fixed and it has worked just fine since.

Plus, based on the amount of material I can only assume was removed in the grip frame up to the ramp area to meet up with the breach area, will certainly cause (possibly catastraphic) frame failure in a short period of time.

I have found no evidence that it has at all weakened. Also, you'd be surprised how much of the frame's bulk that is critical to the gun's durability went untouched.

To combat/improve that, you'd have to weld in an external reinforcement, but that would change the grip size quite a bit, and make the 7075T aluminum frame more brittle.

And I did the exact opposite. I had it therma cycled by metal science, which increased the toughness of the frame considerably.

We can argue the semantics of the word "conversion" all day long, but in the end, this is not what I would call a successful, reliably functional, and certainly not safe "10mm Beretta conversion"

It's worked so far.

One thing I WILL say against such conversions is they always ARE a gamble. Even the best made gun runs the risk of blowing up on you under regular use. That's just the name of the game. Manufacturers spend literally millions of dollars testing their weapons to find out what they can and can't take. In actual weapon design, you can never work out enough either. For instance, the M-16 and Beretta M-9 were very well researched and tested before release, and they still ended up having problems that the manufacturers had to go back and fix.

You and I do not have the money to do the testing that these guys do, so for any conversion or scratch build (Beretta or not), there is always going to be an increased risk of the firearm failing on you.

As far as this Beretta goes, It may sound scary at first look, but upon doing the math, I have not found any evidence to suggest it won't work, and certainly has worked as predicted so far.

So, is there a chance the gun will blow up? Yes. Is it a higher chance then from a typical factory spec handgun? Yes. Is it specifically because of the cartridge VS frame design and/or material removed in the handle to accommodate a larger magazine? Not necessarily/not likely. The more likely cause would be some unforeseeable effect the conversion process overall had on some other aspect of the gun. I'd be more worried about things no one is paying any attention to. This same risk is run when doing some of the most casual conversions that no one really thinks about, and CFs HAVE been known to happen with even the most basic conversions. It's a risk you have to accept. If you're not willing to take them, then don't do conversions.

Edited by brigadier

Only now came across this thread.

Beretta did indeed make a 10mm based on the 92frame. You wont find much info on it as they are very rare. They were never manufactured for full sale but a few did slip out of Italy from what I was told by the Beretta rep at the Shot Show. A few made there way to the US. If your aunt still has it, she could make a handful of cash. Most people arent looking for a 10mm but a Beretta collector would snap it up in a heartbeat. They were made sometime in the early 80s.