Sign in to follow this  
zulu5oscar

Glock 20...38super conversion?

has anyone converted a Glock 20 into a .38super?..i heard it was possiable and was wondering if its just a barrel swap? or is there more modifications that need to be done? any info helps, thanks for your time :)

zulu5oscar, the head of the 38Super is smaller in diameter than the 10mm/40S&W/357Sig/9X25Dillon so the breech face area and the extractor are different for each cartridge of different dimensions. A slide with proper dimensions for the cartridge would be neccessary and the magazine would need to be correct for the cartridge of use also and it would need to fit the frame of use.

Sometimes it is cheaper just to buy the proper gun for the caliber than simple convirsion barrel swaps!

Best regards! :thumb:

Thanks again shadow...was just wondering...my buddy has a EAA in 38super and is buying a Glock 29...i told him about all the different calibers you can shoot with a simple barrel swap...but i also heard but couldnt confirm that there was a conversion with simple barrel swap in .38S...if anyone else knows anything please respond....he is really hooked on the .38super and would like to have the option for both his guns....but that will change once he fires some nukes threw a 10MM!!!

Well, just FYI, but here's a pic of an alleged .38 Super set-up using a "drop-in" .38S barrel from LWD, along side two G20 slides showing LWD 10mm tubes.

G20nG20SFw-Lonewolfbarrels2.jpg

Doesn't appear to need anything more - and I don't know who makes dedicated .38S mags for a large-frame G20 ... :dontknow:

Well agtman's picture shows the barrel is being made by LWD, don't know if it is for the G20 slide or not...If it is then...the 38S with a 0.406" dia. extractor rim is fairly close to the 0.425" of the 10mm and might not pose too much problems for proper extractions.

Someone who really wanted to do the 38Super, the 10magazine lips could possible be reshaped (closed down rolled in from holding a 0.424" or 0.425" casing dia. and modified to hold the 38S @ 0.406" extractor rim or the case dia. of 0.384") It might also require other fitting in the lip area to allow the slide to pass over and pick up a fresh round reliably. That being said that would become a dedicated magazine for the cartridge.

The Cartridge Over All Length would need to be held to what the magazine will allow or the 1.280" std for the 38S cartridge.

Looking over the info it might just be doable, but the 357Sig and 9X25 Dillon should well out shine the velocity of 38 super for any weight 0.355" projectiles. The 10mm with the heavier bullets should carry more energy out to distance.

Looking over the info it might just be doable, but the 357Sig and 9X25 Dillon should well out shine the velocity of 38 super for any weight 0.355" projectiles. The 10mm with the heavier bullets should carry more energy out to distance.

- Which is why a .38 Super "drop-in" conversion barrel for the G20, while it certainly expands the pistol's versatility (or "morph-ability") to yet another caliber, doesn't do anything for me personally.

If I want to play w/ .355 slugs in conversion tubes, the 9x25 Dillon and, probably, the .357Sig offer more in the fps/fpe department ... :unsure:

:cool: