JERRY S.

45 to 10mm but not with s&w?

o.k., we all know that with a magazine and barrel swap you can covert a glock 30 or 21 to a 10mm.

but why cant a s&w model 645 (,45acp) be swapped over to a 10mm with the same changes?

to my limited knowledge the 645 is the same gun as the 1006 is it not?

o.k., we all know that with a magazine and barrel swap you can covert a glock 30 or 21 to a 10mm.

but why cant a s&w model 645 (,45acp) be swapped over to a 10mm with the same changes?

to my limited knowledge the 645 is the same gun as the 1006 is it not?

6405 YES, but NOT the 645!!! :ohmy: DIFFERENT generations.

Check the slides as well - I believe the 10mm slide is heavier duty (I know the spring is!!!), and may not mate up to the 10mm frame, and vice versa.

Extraction may or may not be an issue as well. The larger breechface may not give the extractor hook enough purchase on the smaller 10mm rim.

Extraction may or may not be an issue as well. The larger breechface may not give the extractor hook enough purchase on the smaller 10mm rim.

why can this be done with the G21 and a 10mm barrel? isnt the breech face bigger for the .45 also on this model?

warwagon, i think you misundestood what i was asking.....im not talking about swapping uppers and lowers, just the barrel and magazine like the Glocks can do. of course the recoil spring would be changed on the s&w.

in reading my initial post i can see how that came out.....what i meant about the guns being the same was the slide/barrel mating.

Edited by JERRY S.

why can this be done with the G21 and a 10mm barrel? isnt the breech face bigger for the .45 also on this model?

Yes, but it isn't the same breechface, and more importantly same extractor geometry. More than anything it is about extractor geometry and travel, and those may well be different between a Glock and S&W.

I am just saying that I would not assume it will work on brand Y just because it did on brand X. Even on the Glock, the recommended course is to get a slide with the correct breechface for the cartridge. A G20 and a G21 slide are not identical as I understand it.

got it. thanks.

anyone want to trade a G21 or G29 for a S&W 645? :laugh: