AR15Armory.com

So, Who Is At The Bench Today?

GLShooter

Nope, the barrel I am referring to is for the AR-15. You just build a 30x39 upper for the tinker toy, or erector set.

SOTA Arms has the .308 1-10 twist 7.62x39 chambered 16" barrels for $129.00. Last one I bought was $100. on sale. It shot 3/10 inch at 100 with the 150 grain Remington bulk bullets. Stick a cheepo scope on it if you want and instant hog rifle, light and within 100 fps of the TAC30 or HRT30.

Added feature is with a 1-10 twist it will stabilize 210-220 grain subsonics with my 30 cal can.

Of course you do need a 7.62x39 bolt, but that is a simple change, when using the same carrier. Mags are different also, I use the 10 round which is a straight mag.

Edited by Recondo 101
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, Recondo 101 said:

Nope, the barrel I am referring to is for the AR-15. You just build a 30x39 upper for the tinker toy, or erector set.

SOTA Arms has the .308 1-10 twist 7.62x39 chambered 16" barrels for $129.00. Last one I bought was $100. on sale. It shot 3/10 inch at 100 with the 150 grain Remington bulk bullets. Stick a cheepo scope on it if you want and instant hog rifle, light and within 100 fps of the TAC30 or HRT30.

Added feature is with a 1-10 twist it will stabilize 210-220 grain subsonics with my 30 cal can.

Of course you do need a 7.62x39 bolt, but that is a simple change, when using the same carrier. Mags are different also, I use the 10 round which is a straight mag.

OK : Thanks for the clarification  . Had assumed it was on  a 10-15 platform  as it wouldn't make sense dicking up a Ruger .30 or Mini 14  , along with modifying an AK or SKS  .

Edited by BushXM15

Reloaded a 100 round box a of 38 Spl 125 grain Rem JHPs and a 50 round box of 125 grain Lyman mould hard cast plain base SWCs. Both with 5.1 grains of 231. We are supposed to have Christmas at our house for daughter, husband and two older grandkids. Granddaughter is bringing her boy friend. So I am making a bit of ammo, at least three of the banditos like to shoot free ammo with free to use guns on my home range. Hey, some folks have a pool, I just happen to have a 250 meter rifle range. With an indoor bench and window that looks down range to the berm.

Having a 550 B Dillon to load the bulk stuff on, sure helps.

I am going to start using the PW Metallic II with the Little Dandy mounted for single load, straight runs purpose for the 9mm. Either that or get another powder throw, got 4 besides the Dandy now, on the bench.

• Like 2

Staying away from My bench  until My eyesight improves !. Went to the Optometrist for a complete eye exam today boy did I get one ,still can't focus after dilation procedure !!!.

So tomorrow setting up 6.5 CM Dies   and gonna load some tests rounds ,really just break in fodder at this point in time.

Our thermometer hasn't seen the upside of 25 in better than a week and it's only getting colder ,  -1 to 25 Deg. has been the range  and with snow on the ground like a permanent fixture .

Granted the Wife and I've only lived her #5 + years now but I don't recall it being this COLD this EARLY  before now .

Our " Normal " ( whatever and the hell that means )  is mid lower 40's this time of year .

Some sorry high pressure is setting over OR & WA. dropping cold air mass down from the  North ,heading South but east  of us as a result  , MT. WY. CO. gonna get the Big snow and we get whiffed !!!. ONLY consolation is New York is gonna get an azz whopping of MEGA proportions :party2: 

Happiness is never having to buy tumbling media again...  :rolleyes:

0FiNvwI.jpg

Yes, after so many years my original batch of tumbler media just would not shine the brass up the way it used to.

Was going to try the pet shop walnut stuff, but have a reloading shop a few buildings down from my work.

Stopped by today expecting to buy a 5 pound bag... Came home with a 30 pound, five gallon bucket... :blink: 

EsuojOe.jpg

Now I'm a happy camper with shiny brass...

First 2 hour batch with a charge of Nu-Finish.

Thank you!

Glenn

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BushXM15 said:

Staying away from My bench  until My eyesight improves !. Went to the Optometrist for a complete eye exam today boy did I get one ,still can't focus after dilation procedure !!!.

So tomorrow setting up 6.5 CM Dies   and gonna load some tests rounds ,really just break in fodder at this point in time.

Our thermometer hasn't seen the upside of 25 in better than a week and it's only getting colder ,  -1 to 25 Deg. has been the range  and with snow on the ground like a permanent fixture .

Granted the Wife and I've only lived her #5 + years now but I don't recall it being this COLD this EARLY  before now .

Our " Normal " ( whatever and the hell that means )  is mid lower 40's this time of year .

Some sorry high pressure is setting over OR & WA. dropping cold air mass down from the  North ,heading South but east  of us as a result  , MT. WY. CO. gonna get the Big snow and we get whiffed !!!. ONLY consolation is New York is gonna get an azz whopping of MEGA proportions :party2: 

I think much of the country is colder than normal right now. I know the mid South is, from here to TN. 

So did you need a big change in prescription, or is it something else ?

Or MMOB ? 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:18 AM, Retcop said:

I think much of the country is colder than normal right now. I know the mid South is, from here to TN. 

So did you need a big change in prescription, or is it something else ?

Or MMOB ? 

NO just and in depth exam .  When you're in the 7 Th. inning  one should evaluate their physical well being and be advised of personal milestones or short comings , IMO .  I thought I was having alignment problems ,so O. D. did some overlay  tests ,left , right ,upper and lower quadrant  fusion drills .  Most happy with this optometrist  ,did as thorough an exam as anyone has ever done  :thumb:.  MY dominant eye has lost a little bit of distance focus and MY other eye ISN'T focusing near as well as I'd hoped for . The Dr. says NO alarms went off and NO reason to change prescriptions  ,maybe next year or year after .   Now MY shooting glasses which I've had for 15 years  now ? are still sharp enough to pass the eyeball exam . A tiny bit of Cataracts but nothing requiring any surgery or alarm bells at this point .

So ALL in ALL pretty comfortable  with how well everything seems to be holding up . NO macular degeneration detected and peripheral vision is Excellent . SO ALL IS GOOD !. According to the Dr. one of the Best things I've done in MY life as far as eyes are concerned ,has been wearing Sun Glasses . Which I have since I was 12 maybe ?. Good Quality Aviators   Bausch & Lomb  .  MY current pair are nearly 50 years old  and is with many things I own ,spares  are NIB and at least #55 years old .

Like MY Wife say's , You have underwear older than most peoples children :segrin: . Now when those become thin enough as to be drafty and one's able to read news print through them ,they become polishing rags :thumb:

NO landfills are filling up on MY account :bignono:   :hysterical3:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BushXM15 said:

NO just and in depth exam .  When you're in the 7 Th. inning  one should evaluate their physical well being and be advised of personal milestones or short comings , IMO .  I thought I was having alignment problems ,so O. D. did some overlay  tests ,left , right ,upper and lower quadrant  fusion drills .  Most happy with this optometrist  ,did as thorough an exam as anyone has ever done  :thumb:.  MY dominant eye has lost a little bit of distance focus and MY other eye ISN'T focusing near as well as I'd hoped for . The Dr. says NO alarms went off and NO reason to change prescriptions  ,maybe next year or year after .   Now MY shooting glasses which I've had for 15 years  now ? are still sharp enough to pass the eyeball exam . A tiny bit of Cataracts but nothing requiring any surgery or alarm bells at this point .

So ALL in ALL pretty comfortable  with how well everything seems to be holding up . NO macular degeneration detected and peripheral vision is Excellent . SO ALL IS GOOD !. According to the Dr. one of the Best things I've done in MY life as far as eyes are concerned ,has been wearing Sun Glasses . Which I have since I was 12 maybe ?. Good Quality Aviators   Bausch & Lomb  .  MY current pair are nearly 50 years old  and is with many things I own ,spares  are NIB and at least #55 years old .

Like MY Wife say's , You have underwear older than most peoples children :segrin: . Now when those become thin enough as to be drafty and one's able to read news print through them ,they become polishing rags :thumb:

NO landfills are filling up on MY account :bignono:   :hysterical3:

Good for you!      :thumb:

My Doc said at last visit he maybe saw the start of some stuff...so of course I need to get back a couple of months ago.  A fer piece back, I had brought the EoTech in with a tape measure, after wifey measured the distance from eyes to sight when I presented the rifle. Doc and I used the same distance to double check new prescription set up because I have bad astigmatism in both eyes. 

I was very happy with him. I do not believe I would do the same today with the doctor I have now. I need that doctor pro-2A site to check . Miss my old GP. One of the problems here is we are in the 9 poorest counties, so we get a lot of transient docs right out of school who are here to pay their loans. My first questions about docs is how old are they AND are they raising a family here...The joys of living in bofunk Little Egypt. 

I have worn transition glasses ever since I started wearing glasses, over 45 years ago now. Living on the Gulf and having a boat at the dock, spending time on the water, requires a real good set of sun blocking eyewear.

I put together 100 rounds of 9mm 115 grain ASP rounds yesterday,  Had to put the 9mm die head back together after years of not having a 9mm handgun to reload for. Used Unique as a powder. I have another 3# can full of brass somewhere, just have to dig it out. Have another 1K of ASP bullets in transit on the way.

Kept thinking, I have more brass than this, looking at my boxes of brass , then I went looking, opening cabinets, file cabinets, file drawers, etc, finally found it in the back of the 6mm bullet cabinet, 3 pound steel coffee cans with lids, stacked 3 high 3 to four deep full of separated and cleaned brass. The same old Easter Egg hunt. My 40 S&W and 9mm brass had tarnished so poured the 9mm can full in the big blue brass cleaner with a table spoon of Dillon brass cleaner. When you put cans back in dark lower cabinets, they just disappear.

I found a fair bit, about 150 pieces, of once fired 45 Long Colt brass if someone needs it, I no longer have my 45 Colt single action Ruger guns. No reason to keep the 45 LC brass. I can use some more 243 commercial brass on a trade.

• Like 2

Got in 1,000 count of the mixed 115/124 ASP 9mm bullets from American. Figured it would be a small PITA sorting them, I was correct by half again. Had all the 115s and then all of the 124s  been exactly the same it would have been easy, but the HP process was just a wee bit different on some of the 115s, matching the 124 process, making at least 3 batches by observation. If you order some just be prepared. Oh, I lost about 20 to being crushed in the demil process, not too bad at all.

2 hours ago, Recondo 101 said:

Got in 1,000 count of the mixed 115/124 ASP 9mm bullets from American. Figured it would be a small PITA sorting them, I was correct by half again. Had all the 115s and then all of the 124s  been exactly the same it would have been easy, but the HP process was just a wee bit different on some of the 115s, matching the 124 process, making at least 3 batches by observation. If you order some just be prepared. Oh, I lost about 20 to being crushed in the demil process, not too bad at all.

Seems like they are out of all the interesting 9mm pulls.

IF tomorrow is clear ( supposed to crap up and snow tonight tomorrow some ) and by Sunday -Monday wallop us ! :tap:

However either I'm shooting or reloading a couple of New 5.56x45mm recipes  . Have Never put 77 grain pills through any of MY AR's . I stumbled upon several boxes of Sierra Match Kings  while digging through the .338 225 gr. boxes .

Boy did I pack well or :whistling:

• Like 1