PHOENIX

Converting Glock 30 to 10mm

I'm brand new to this forum, but have been reading for over 2 hours. I'm learning a lot from you, friends.

I thought I was going to have to purchase a Glock 29 as a wilderness defense gun for bear country, but have been told that the Glock 30SF can be converted to 10mm for around $150. Can anyone tell me where to start? I've searched Google and found KKM barrels for $165. Any other manufacturers out there that anyone in this excellent forum can recommend, or is KKM the best option? Does anyone have any experience with Glock conversions that can speak for or against this option?

Thank you in advance for your time.

I'm brand new to this forum, but have been reading for over 2 hours. I'm learning a lot from you, friends.

I thought I was going to have to purchase a Glock 29 as a wilderness defense gun for bear country, but have been told that the Glock 30SF can be converted to 10mm for around $150. Can anyone tell me where to start? I've searched Google and found KKM barrels for $165. Any other manufacturers out there that anyone in this excellent forum can recommend, or is KKM the best option? Does anyone have any experience with Glock conversions that can speak for or against this option?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Perhaps .400 Cor-Bon? It's a .45 ACP necked down to .40 (10mm) and can provide the same ballistics as the 10mm. Since the 29 and 30 both hold 10 rounds you don't give up any capacity.

Perhaps .400 Cor-Bon? It's a .45 ACP necked down to .40 (10mm) and can provide the same ballistics as the 10mm. Since the 29 and 30 both hold 10 rounds you don't give up any capacity.

Thanks, Davek, however, my question is about barrel conversion more than ammunition. Does anyone have any experience with barrel conversion of a G30 to 10mm? Is the KKM barrel the barrel of choice, or are there other/better options for the same/less money?

I hear tales like this quite often. I am entirely sure where they come from, and I am not a gunsmith, so my comments are just that of a lay person with almost 30 years experience as a handgun enthusiast.

In order to properly function, a semi-automatic weapon must not only have the correct chamber/bore, but the correct breechface. Swapping the barrel will get the correct chamber and bore into your frame, but not the correct breechface. If the extractor claw has a log of travel, it may still get enough purchase on a 10mm cartridge rim to reliably extract and eject. However, this is usually not the case with most guns. I have read some places that the extractor has to be modified to work with the smaller case rim.

If you just want a 10mm to plink with in the back yard, a barrel swap and extractor tweak may work fine. If you wish to depend on it for bear defense, I would suggest a whole new upper. Seems like Lone Wolf made one at one point.

In order to properly function, a semi-automatic weapon must not only have the correct chamber/bore, but the correct breechface. Swapping the barrel will get the correct chamber and bore into your frame, but not the correct breechface. If the extractor claw has a log of travel, it may still get enough purchase on a 10mm cartridge rim to reliably extract and eject. However, this is usually not the case with most guns. I have read some places that the extractor has to be modified to work with the smaller case rim.

If you just want a 10mm to plink with in the back yard, a barrel swap and extractor tweak may work fine. If you wish to depend on it for bear defense, I would suggest a whole new upper. Seems like Lone Wolf made one at one point.

I am appreciative of your concern. And, the theory behind it is valid. In numerous forums and articles, however, I have not heard this concern offered by anyone with experience in Glock conversions, from armorers, to gunsmiths, to other enthusiasts. Respectfully, a man with and experience is never at mercy to a man with a theory.

I'm hopeful that someone with experience with a Glock30 conversion to 10mm will weigh in. Are there additional modifications needed, other than the barrel/mag swap? Has anyone converted a G30 to 10mm? If so, what has been your experience?

UPDATE: I called the armorer at Glockmeister in Mesa, AZ. He said he has not seen any issues in the barrel conversions from KKM.

He said a Glock 30 can be converted to 10mm with just a drop-in barrel and 10mm magazine. No modifications are needed to the extractor or spring, and he said that he prefers the stainless guide-rod, but it isn't necessary.

BTW, he also said that they make a similar conversion for the G29 to .40S&W, which would make it more economical to shoot, IF you aren't reloading.

Thanks, Davek, however, my question is about barrel conversion more than ammunition. Does anyone have any experience with barrel conversion of a G30 to 10mm? Is the KKM barrel the barrel of choice, or are there other/better options for the same/less money?

The conversion of a Glock 30 to .400 Cor-Bon is a barrel only conversion. Because it's based on the .45 ACP case none of the breechface or extractor concerned mentioned elsewhere are in play and the Glock 30 .45 ACP mags are the correct ones to use. If the objective is to get a 10mm bullet coming out of your Glock 30 at the velocity of a full power 10mm load the .400 Cor-Bon conversion will do it. And, as a bonus, it does it a lower pressures than the 10mm. Usually the trade off is lower magazine capacity, but in this case the G30 and G29 are both 10 round capacity mags. Just sayin'

The conversion of a Glock 30 to .400 Cor-Bon is a barrel only conversion. Because it's based on the .45 ACP case none of the breechface or extractor concerned mentioned elsewhere are in play and the Glock 30 .45 ACP mags are the correct ones to use. If the objective is to get a 10mm bullet coming out of your Glock 30 at the velocity of a full power 10mm load the .400 Cor-Bon conversion will do it. And, as a bonus, it does it a lower pressures than the 10mm. Usually the trade off is lower magazine capacity, but in this case the G30 and G29 are both 10 round capacity mags. Just sayin'

OK, Davek, that is interesting. Are you aware who makes this barrel conversion? Neither KKM nor Lone Wolf carry them.

I'm not familiar with the ballistics of .400 Cor-Bon. My "objective" is to have reliable defense if I end up on the business end of a bear or mountain lion. This isn't for plinking or ripping paper. I am trusting my life to it.

OK, Davek, that is interesting. Are you aware who makes this barrel conversion? Neither KKM nor Lone Wolf carry them.

I'm not familiar with the ballistics of .400 Cor-Bon. My "objective" is to have reliable defense if I end up on the business end of a bear or mountain lion. This isn't for plinking or ripping paper. I am trusting my life to it.

Storm Lake as them Storm Lake Barrels

Some charts: 10mm vs. .400 Cor-Bon

For bear or mountain lion I would recommend traveling with a slower-footed companion. :bc: But, seriously, a Glock 20 is just a little bigger and carries 15 rounds in a mag. I know weight is important when you are lugging stuff around, but a few ounces more might be worth it.

Thinking about it further - I don't think I'd trust my life to a Glock with a third party conversion barrel in the picture. But that's just me. If I was limited to a handgun I was carrying through bear/mountain lion country I'd probably carry a S&W 329PD with a shotshell in the first chamber. The recoil is monstrous, but in an emergency I suspect that wouldn't be noticed so much.

Storm Lake as them Storm Lake Barrels

Some charts: 10mm vs. .400 Cor-Bon

For bear or mountain lion I would recommend traveling with a slower-footed companion. :bc: But, seriously, a Glock 20 is just a little bigger and carries 15 rounds in a mag. I know weight is important when you are lugging stuff around, but a few ounces more might be worth it.

If Storm Lake HAD these barrels, I don't find them on their website anywhere.

The whole purpose of a barrel conversion was to avoid having to purchase an additional gun. Although I do like the idea of the S&W .44 Mag you mentioned, my original question was concerning converting my G30 to a G29 equivalent 10mm. If I had the extra $900, I like the S&W option. My G30, however, fits really nicely in a convenient belt pocket on my archery pack, and is easily accessed. My G22 doesn't fit... so, neither would the S&W 329PD.

UPDATE: I got an email back from KKM today stating that the only additional modification needed to take the G30 to 10mm is a #22 spring. I can always carry a G20 magazine to give me the capacity needed, however. In the unlikely event this ever becomes an issue (ie. life or death), I'm not sure that I'll get 11 rounds off, let alone 16. Most of the "stories" out there are 2-5 shots before the bruin is in your bread basket.

If I was going to be on Kodiak, I would not be trusting a 10mm, but against a black bear... It gives me more peace of mind than my .45ACP.

If Storm Lake HAD these barrels, I don't find them on their website anywhere.

Follow the link I posted and ues the selection options in the lower right hand quadrant of the page. Eventually it will make Part # GL-30-400C-00T-0P-3.78 , the no threads, no ports, standard length Glock 30 .400 Cor-bon barrel. Or, select a greater length, threading, ports, etc.