Sign in to follow this  
azlaw

10mm Witness Wonderfinish Slide Shattered after 150 Rounds

sigh. Stupid network problems caused a double post. Please delete.

Edited by Objekt

I sure hope you get the satisfaction you deserve from Tanfoglio/EAA. I have often thought of buying but a Witness 10mm but something has always pushed me away. I went with the Glock-29 and I'm glad I did.

All these issues really have me disappointed in Tanfoglio lately. My two 10 year old + Witnesses have been indestructible and I have really shot the heck out of them.

In an article I read today in the NRA American Rifleman Magazine they stated that Springfield Armory used Tanfoglio of Ialty to suppy parts for the XD & XDM pistols...it would be nasty if this situation started to show up in the Springfield lineup. The design of the Sprinfield pistols may not suffer as did the Witness pistols. Time will tell! :sad:

CORRECTION! I must correct the statement about the XD & XDM there weren't any parts supplied by Tanfoglio. Springfield Armory used Tanfoglio of Ialty to suppy parts for their P9 a few years back. See my next post...Sorry for any misleading info

In an article I read today in the NRA American Rifleman Magazine they stated that Springfield Armory used Tanfoglio of Ialty to suppy parts for the XD & XDM pistols...it would be nasty if this situation started to show up in the Springfield lineup. The design of the Sprinfield pistols may not suffer as did the Witness pistols. Time will tell! :sad:

Must be a recent development, or only applicable to certain XD/XD(M) models. My few-years-old .45 ACP XD says on it that it was made in Croatia.

I must correct the earlier statement about the XD & XDM, there weren't any parts supplied by Tanfoglio. Springfield Armory used Tanfoglio of Ialty to suppy parts for their P9 a few years back. Sorry for any confusion!

I love my witness i have the full size version in polymer. I've shot around 2500 rounds through to date and haven't had a problem. I updated the recoil spring to a 22# wolff and the magazine spring as well before i ever fired the first round through it. I purchased it in late 2009.

I love my witness i have the full size version in polymer. I've shot around 2500 rounds through to date and haven't had a problem. I updated the recoil spring to a 22# wolff and the magazine spring as well before i ever fired the first round through it. I purchased it in late 2009.

Well, mine surely did not do as well, as you can see. I think that EAA intends to "repair" it, but I wonder what they will use for a slide. If it is a metalurgy problem with the "wonderfinish" guns, then they will just be shipping out another defective gun. And from the looks of things, the problem might be in the frames as well.

Dunno, we'll see what comes back.

H

Well, mine surely did not do as well, as you can see. I think that EAA intends to "repair" it, but I wonder what they will use for a slide. If it is a metalurgy problem with the "wonderfinish" guns, then they will just be shipping out another defective gun. And from the looks of things, the problem might be in the frames as well.

Dunno, we'll see what comes back.

H

The gun shop where I bought my ill-fated Witness sent it back to EAA. A short time later, they received the same frame in return, but with a new Elite-type slide.

No word on whether the new slide fared any better.

The gun shop where I bought my ill-fated Witness sent it back to EAA. A short time later, they received the same frame in return, but with a new Elite-type slide.

No word on whether the new slide fared any better.

The Elite-type slide is there old style of slide. All of mine have this slide and I have never seen or heard of one of these slide cracking or having issues.

Old style slide,

WComp.jpg

New style slide

pix385656656.jpg

Edited by panzermk2

Both of mine have the old style too. They are tanks.

Astonishing how similar the cracks appear to the stress analysis done by Vltor on their computer. They posted the picture on their website (since taken down) of both the slide and frame under maximum stress and these cracks look exactly like that analysis.

Astonishing how similar the cracks appear to the stress analysis done by Vltor on their computer. They posted the picture on their website (since taken down) of both the slide and frame under maximum stress and these cracks look exactly like that analysis.

Except that these cracks developed using factory ammunitition - that should hardly be "maximum stress". Products like firearms are generally designed to withstand more stress than they are expected to encounter in service. This one failed to withstand ordinary service for 150 rounds, and judging by the other posts here and elsewhere, it's not the first Witness with the "new slide" to fail in this way.

Anybody know how many separate Witness silde failures have been reported on the various 10mm sites?

H

None of the magazines would work in my 10mm witness, so I sent it back and told EAA to either replace all the magazines with good ones, or convert the pistol to 38 super and send it back with 38 super mags. They chose to convert the gun to 38 super and returned it with four new hi-cap super mags. It works great now.

If EAA won't give you a refund, you might consider having them swap it to another caliber.

Tony

I haven't fired mine enough to see, whether or not, it will crack. I have the very fine cocking serrations on the slide. This seems to be an indication of an earlier edition of the slide in question. I believe that my pistol is safe.

Scott

Edited by gunfan