Sign in to follow this  
VeeKay

New barrel for my 1076

The new barrel from S&W has an extension on the top of the barrel on the breech end of the barrel that is wider than the original. Original is 0.349 inches wide, new barrel is 0.432 inches wide. Is this something that is usual (gun smithing a new barrel to fit) or is the replacement barrel the wrong one for my 1076? Anyone else come up with this problem?

Edited by VeeKay

VeeKay, :welcome: to 10mmTalk!

The new barrel may not be a drop in fit...they are set to be hand fitted to the slide and frame for more accurate fit. If you are not capable you will need to have a gun smith fit it for you! If it is just the barrel hood that is oversized you could file it a little on both sides to make the fit. If the barrel is to long to allow the slide to fully go in to battery you may need to file the very end of the barrel hood also. This requires a steady hand and stones to polish the exact fit needed. Attention to maintain proper angles is required to get your best fit...don't remove too much metal, too fast!

You could lay the New and old barrels next to each other and visably compare bothy for other discrepancies to make sure they are the same in all other ways.

I hope this helps, best regards! :thumb:

Thanks, Shadow, that's exactly what I wanted to know! Appreciate the welcome, I saw that you just recently joined my old hangout Bren Ten Forum, and a welcome extended to you there. :thumb:

:signthankspin: VeeKay!

I have had to fit two Bar-Sto Match Grade Barrels for my 1006, one for 40S&W the other 9x25Dillon. The 9x25 needed the most attention, the length of the barrel hood I had to polish on a stone to remove tiny amounts of metal then check the fit as I went along, till it would drop in and out of battery. Both of the barrels required some polishing of the area underneath the barrel where it rides over the slide stop lock pin. Maintaining square to the surface being polished makes for a better job. Now the chamber on the 9x25 did require it to be reamed a little to match the barrel hood’s fit and finish, a very nice gentleman (Van) here on the forum helped me out with this part of the project at a very reasonable fee.

My hat is off to Van of:

The Gunworks

1329 1st St

Sandusky, OH 44870

(419) 626-3034

Van’s work was everything I’d hoped for seeing how I did not have a reamer or the required tools to perform this portion of the project.

Good luck getting your barrel fitted and also for the welcome to Bren Ten. I am one who has pre paid for the VLTOR Bren Ten in hopes of getting in on the first run of the "VICE CLASIC" models. I know there is a lot of speculations concerning their production but I'm remaining hopeful for a great product to emerge for this pistol's re-birth! :thumb:

Though not the 1076 of the topic, I will be getting conversion barrels for my two Glock 20 SFs and that is likely related enough in concept to not create a parallel new topic, so I post here. I'm thinking that I will be getting Lone Wolf conversion barrels and they will just drop in with no gunsmithing necessary. Is that right? But, the time to decide to buy an alternative brand is now, so now I'm wondering if I might be missing in understanding something or missing out on an accuracy advantage. Is the custom fitting also accurizing and is a drop in fit giving up accuracy for that feature? Since my personal challenge is to become proficient at single hand long range pistol shooting, I'm willing to spend more for barrels that will be more accurate and I invite recommendations. I'm still new to pistols and got serious about them about a year and a half ago. Ronald :)

Ronald, I have both Storm Lake(x2) and Lone Wolf conversions for my Glock 29, these were drop in and did not require any fitting at all, There is something to be said about the CNC machine work of the Glock and the barrels being produced by these companies.

I the case of VeeKay's barrel S&W had purchased them to be replacement barrels for pistold being used heavily such as LEO or competition. They had them slightly over sized to be fitted to slides which might have worn slightly.

There are some barrels for the Glocks which may require some fitting such as Bar-Sto if not a drop-in.

Good luck! :)

So... how is it that we are talking about fitting a new barrel from Smith & Wesson for a 1076?

Am I to assume that somehow, someone can get a new barrel from S&W for a 10xx pistol?

I was under the impression that while they will service the pistols if/when they can, they don't have any barrels for these pistols and aren't in the habit of making new ones for guns that ceased production some 12+ years ago.

Is my information faulty -- does S&W have a supply of 10xx barrels, or have they made a new run of them?

Sevens, You raised some good questions here! :)

I didn't even bother to ask VeeKay as to why he needed a new barrel for the pistol :sad: and he didn't explain why either :unsure: ...S&W does have a life time warranty to cover the guns and do make repairs as needed. I had talked to a person sometime back about replacement barrels for the S&W 3rd gen. guns and he explained that they were purposely left as to be fitted and not a drop-in as the gun could have worn from heavy use.

The barrels I fit for mine were aftermarket caliber conversions from Bar-Sto.

Just purchased the 1076 through a local internet listing. Had no previous experience with the Smith & Wesson 1076, but had heard good things. Upon inspection after the purchase noticed a spot under the barrel that wasn't sure if it was wear or not, the barrel looked OK, but I had seen barrels with more pronounced rifling before as well. Found Midway USA that lists parts by gun. It was backordered for some time, but it came in I'd say about two months after I ordered it. I was under the impression it was made by S&W. It looks like it was made by S&W, and the site does mention gunsmithing may be necessary for some parts.

I had just recently been looking for a 6" barrel for my Glock 20 and these were all drop in, thus my reason for double checking with someone with a little more experience with replacement barrels.

As it turns out, the barrel on my 1076 has not been abused as I had suspected. Anyway, I have a replacement barrel for my out of production pistol.

:)

VeeKay, that sounds great and you did good getting the barrel even though you probably won't wear one out in your life time. I have purchased some used barrels on the internet just to have extra, one came with a complete slide excepy for the safety lever for a 1006 at a good price.

I'm doing my best at trying to wear that barrel out, anyway, when my Bren Ten comes in I'll have 3 10mm's to spread the workload around with. "Workload," at least it sounds good. I'll probably wear my reloader out first. :blink:

Just got a new grip for my 1076 with the palmswell, it now fits my hand like a glove. Anyway, we were talking about barrels. MidwayUSA currently has available new barrels,(gunsmithing necessary) for the 1006 and 1026 for $105.99 less shipping and taxes. They still have some for the 1076,1066,&1086, 4003, &4004. for $104.99. :nt: