Sign in to follow this  
hoser

Custom 10mm advice

I'm in the midst of deciding if I'm going to customize a Colt Delta 10mm (one of those Horton runs that a milspec 1991A1 look with "DELTA 10MM" rollmark large on the slide. Is this collectible and should I customize it?

If so, do you guys feel the 10mm needs checkering or will serrations on front strap be okay?

Should I go with adjustable sights? I have the feeling the POI changes quite a bit with the different bullet weights from 135gr up to 230gr. Is this a correct assumption?

Do you guys recommend a ramped match barrel or do standard set ups work well (I'd prefer to keep standard so I can swap back the original if needed)?

Thanks.

I've had both serrations and checkering on 1911's....I would personally go for 25lpi.

If you do an adjustable rear sight make sure its a heavy duty unit...I've had a few lpa's break on a 45 and a 10mm.

I would do a standard barrel, but if you decide to do a ramp get the para/clark ramp cut/style.

I'm in the midst of deciding if I'm going to customize a Colt Delta 10mm (one of those Horton runs that a milspec 1991A1 look with "DELTA 10MM" rollmark large on the slide. Is this collectible and should I customize it?

If so, do you guys feel the 10mm needs checkering or will serrations on front strap be okay?

Should I go with adjustable sights? I have the feeling the POI changes quite a bit with the different bullet weights from 135gr up to 230gr. Is this a correct assumption?

Do you guys recommend a ramped match barrel or do standard set ups work well (I'd prefer to keep standard so I can swap back the original if needed)?

Thanks.

I've had both serrations and checkering on 1911's....I would personally go for 25lpi.

If you do an adjustable rear sight make sure its a heavy duty unit...I've had a few lpa's break on a 45 and a 10mm.

I would do a standard barrel, but if you decide to do a ramp get the para/clark ramp cut/style.

Did you find that serrations just didn't grip enough for the 10mm recoil? I've never had 25lpi, but had 20lpi once and it just dug into my sissy hands after an afternoon of shooting! Maybe I'll try it or just stick with 30lpi.

If I sight in fixed sights with 180gr or 200 gr bullets, do you think that would be better than putting on adjustables? I'm not sure how different POI is with 10mm. Seems like it's not that bad with 45's. Is 10mm similar?

Did you find that serrations just didn't grip enough for the 10mm recoil? I've never had 25lpi, but had 20lpi once and it just dug into my sissy hands after an afternoon of shooting! Maybe I'll try it or just stick with 30lpi.

If I sight in fixed sights with 180gr or 200 gr bullets, do you think that would be better than putting on adjustables? I'm not sure how different POI is with 10mm. Seems like it's not that bad with 45's. Is 10mm similar?

25 LPI is the hot ticket as far as Im concerned when it comes to front strap treatments. 20 LPI like you said can be a little rough depending on who did the checkering. 30 LPI to me was a little too fine.....25 was the sweet spot. I like the serrations but there is no comparison to checkering. I had marc morganti do the checkering 25 LPI and liked his work, but a lot of people seem to rave about how Pete Single is the man for checkering.....except he only accepts work from other gunsmiths/factories. I believe Novak farms out their checkering work to him, might check with them and see if thats who does it for them.

Now I know this isnt a direct comparison..but out of my glock 29 I havent noticed a big change in POI when going from 155 to 180 bullets and I've even fired a few 200's out of the gun. I guess I would take into consideration what are your goals for the gun....target range gun, or a concealed weapon gun? If a target gun then I would get a bomar style adjustable rear sight (champion makes one now) or just stick with fixed sights if its for a concealed weapon. I have used the champion adjustable sight that fits into a novak cut and looks like a novak on a .45 1911....never had any problems with it. But on my carry gun I have fixed heine night sights.

As far as customization goes, I see you visit the louderthanwords forum so I know you are familiar with a lot of the guys over there. I've had work done by John Harrison and Marc Morganti and both outstanding work.....but Don WIlliams of the action works knows his way around a 10mm really well. He has taken time to answer a lot of questions for me and offered tidbits of advice regarding a 10mm 1911 setup. He also does very nice work, I would give him a shout if you are interested in a 10mm 1911.

Thanks.

Ck out LST technology in WV they are building a custom upper for my Officers Model frame they are 10mm guys all the way

I have a Para Ordnance P-16 Limited converted to 10mm and I have some "high dollar" skate board tape on the grip...it works great and is very cheep...of course it doesn't look as cool as checkering! :wink:

IM000001.jpg

Front strap treatments are increasingly expensive and a lot of big deal is made over them. I have a 30 lpi 45, a 20 lpi 9mm, a 25 lpi 10mm, and a serrated 45 commander. I can honestly say, I have spent a lot of money making them pretty. I have yet to drop or feel uncomfortable shooting my non gussied up 1911's.