flyandscuba

My Latest Conversion -- a True Pocket Pistol in 10mm!

Here are some pics of my newly converted new-production (High Standard) AMT Backup from .40 S&W to 10mm. I still have to engrave the barrel with the new caliber, but you can see how the Double Tap 135 gr. Nosler JHP fits nicely into the magazine once the spacer has been removed. The fit & finish of these new High Standard-produced Backups are MUCH nicer than the old AMT stuff out of California. They have even added a thin stainless steel plate to the right side under the grip panel that covers the tigger bar linkage that was left exposed when AMT was making these.

It is a hand cannon and not for the recoil sensitive shooter!! The heavy trigger spring helps to retard the slide along with the recoil spring and dampens the recoil effectively. For an "up close and personal" deep concealment pistol, I believe this is the first TRUE pocket pistol in 10mm.

:wow:

Range reports to follow...

Regards,

flyandscuba

100_0105.jpg

100_0103.jpg

I don't have a chrono -- but I might need to invest in one...

A local gunsmith did the barrel work -- it was a simple reaming of the chamber to the 10mm cartidge dimension. I removed the mag spacer myself in about 30 seconds with a screwdriver. Minimal filing of the dimples that held the spacer in the mag was performed as well.

No change to the recoil spring. The heavy but smooth DAO hammer and spring actually assist the recoil spring to retard the slide and absorb the recoil.

As conversion projects go, this was a very simple one. If you had the patience, you could even do the reaming of the stainless steel chamber by hand if you have the proper reamer and "go" gauge.

Since this particular pistol is the same dimension for all of their caliber offerings (9mm, .38 Super, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .400 Corbon) -- the hole in the barrel is larger or smaller depending upon the caliber, but the exterior dimensions of the barrel remain the same -- I have no doubt that the pistol can handle any commercially produced full-power 10mm loads.

However, I doubt that I will use anything greater than a 165 gr. bullets for carry loads to lessen the recoil.

I can hardly wait for a range report!

Borrow a chrono if you have to. :nt:

What is the barrel length? We should be able to get an idea of MV.

This would be the first true 10mm pocket pistol.

Have you put many rounds thru it yet? Any malfs with the DT ammo.

The short barreled 10's usually have such a hi slide velocity that they never function properly.

I agree 135-165 gr would be max for this type of pistol.

I was wondering if you have made it over here too. Like Taos, I still eagerly await a range report. I have one conversion already and this sounds like it would be easier than my last one. much easier.

Here is a size comparison with my current everyday carry CCW - a Rohrbaugh R9s in 9mm. When pocket size allows -- and maximum firepower is desired -- the 10mm BackUp is certainly a pocket-capable pistol.

10mmBUv9mmR9.jpg

Here is a size comparison with my current everyday carry CCW - a Rohrbaugh R9s in 9mm. When pocket size allows -- and maximum firepower is desired -- the 10mm BackUp is certainly a pocket-capable pistol.

10mmBUv9mmR9.jpg

I gotta get me one now. Thanks!

That is beautiful and impressive my friend! Great info too.

Your weapon is also added to the list.

Edited by brigadier

Any updates?

Looks like it would be a recoil beast...if you aren't recoil shy this could make it so you were lol.

The conversion is doing fine! The gunsmith who performed the chamber reaming and barrel engraving simply noted on the completed work order....ouch! :D

I'm currently carrying Double Tap's new 125 gr. solid copper hollow point as a carry load. Like DT's 135 gr. JHP -- these things are nuclear, but the BackUp handles them just fine!

Here is a pic with the recently re-marked barrel:

100_0112.jpg

flyandscuba, seems like it will probably be a winner. Especially, if the same size frame will handle both the .400 Cor Bon and .45 ACP. The conversion from .40 S&W to 10mm seems logical. I don't know how much more (ballistically) would be achieved over the forty though? I'm not being a "naysayer". A 10mm mouse gun, other than a derringer would be very cool. As can be noted, High Standard makes top-of-the-line firearms. The old AMT's of Irwindale, California were either "hit-or-miss". I'm glad they were bought up by High Standard. How much did your original gun cost, if you don't mind me asking?

It was more than I hoped. Retail is $525 but I was able to get it for $499.

As I promised, here is a range report from a little shooting today. While traveling on business, I stopped in to a range near Charlotte for a little afternoon session with the BackUp and my Pointman.

Blazer ammo ran fine through the BackUp. The only issue I had at all was two grip screws -- one on each side -- departed the frame during the shooting. Upon examining the screws, the first few threads appear stripped. I believe the screws are a little shorter than they should be and aren't getting a proper purchase into the threaded holes in the frame -- especially the screw that has to pass through the grip panel as well as the metal plate covering the trigger bar linkage that was left open in the older AMT BU's.

I'll order some new screws and possibly use a little Locktite to secure them.

Anyway, here is a picture of a target that received two magazines (10 rounds) at 3 yards. Standing slow fire, all 10 rounds made it center mass within a 4 inch spread. Eliminate the one "flyer" at the top, and the remaining group measures about 3.5 inches. Given that the pistol only has a channel on the top of the slide for a sight, I am well pleased with the accuracy considering the long and heavy DAO trigger pull.

My next step will be to assure reliable function with 50 rounds of chosen self-defense ammo. I'm going to try the new Double Tap 125 gr. solid copper HP as well as the 230 gr. Equalizer load to start.

100_0143.jpg

100_0143-1.jpg

Edited by flyandscuba

Thanks for posting the results!

That is a nice little rig. :oh yea:

I finally had time in my latest hotel room tonight to field strip the 10mm BackUp. I was pleased to see that there is absolutely no abnormal wear, peening, etc. to the internals. The only evidence of firing was the typical "shining" to the frame rails, slide grooves, and barrel from stainless rubbing on stainless during firing.

It appears that the plastic grips might be a little thicker than needed, thus why the grip screws aren't getting a full purchase in the threaded holes in the frame to adequately secure the grips to the frame. Therefore, I plan to reduce the thickness of the grip panels ever so slightly (basically, removing some of the injection molding points and flashing) in order to give the screws a better change of engaging the threads needed to provide a snug and secure fit. I will also add a drop of loctite to each and then see what happens during the next range session.

I am really pleased that the 10mm ammo is causing no damage to the pistol at this point. Another area that I think I'll make a change in is the magazine follower. In order for the follower to function in the .40 S&W magazine with the spacer in place, it is shorter than a normal 1911 style follower. Now that the spacer has been removed from the magazine -- a void exists between the back of the follower and the rear of the magazine. Although this has caused no malfunctions at this point, I plan to replace the follower with a regular full-length follower just to be sure it will not cause a feed malfunction in the future.

Bravo! Well done!

Would be interesting to have some velocity data!

:thumb: