flyandscuba

My Latest Conversion -- a True Pocket Pistol in 10mm!

Here's a few pics of my latest experiment with the 10mm BackUp. I added some Hi-Vis material to the front sight channel in an effort to create a more useful working sight. It functions with a "combat" sight picture -- where you cover your intended target with the dot, rather than rest your target upon the top of the sight. It is affixed with a little "gel" Super Glue -- and it has withstood 50 rounds of CCI Blazer and a few rounds of Remington/UMC FMJs and a few weeks of pocket carry in a leather pocket holster without departing the slide. It's definitely not the prettiest front sight that I've seen on a pistol, but in the subdued light of the indoor range where tested, it glowed quite well. I didn't think to save the target, but I will do so on the next range trip.

100_0267.jpg

100_0268.jpg

100_0266.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Pleased to hear that you had to have one for yourself! I may have to go the 1911 screw route as well, as the Rohrbaugh screws become loose after about 25 rounds downrange. None have departed yet, but I'm thinking the 1911 screw set-up might be better. BTW, my BU eats everything that I feed it. The 200gr Cast Lead DTs are the most vicious in terms of recoil...

Loctite is your friend. Use blue, not red.

I'm going to have find a HS BU in 40SW for conversion.

A chrono report with various loads would be benefical.

The short barrel does cause me to have issue with how much velocity will be loss but it might not be that bad, it will probably still be faster than what I'm getting with my PM40.

Reliability of the conversion will be the key as my Kahr's are bet your life on me reliable.

Kahr how about a MK in 10mm!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Agent19

I missed a LNIB AMT BU in .40SW by minutes :sad: .

The asking $$$ = $275. :ohmy:

I missed a LNIB AMT BU in .40SW by minutes :sad: .

The asking $$$ = $275. :ohmy:

That would have been a good buy. However, if you are considering the 10mm conversion -- I recommend getting one of the new production models by High Standard in Houston, TX. The castings look better to me -- the fit & finish is definitely better -- and I like the cover plate they incorporated for the trigger linkage (this area was left open on the original AMTs).

Just wondering aren't you a little worried about the rail cracking without a heavier spring to absorb some of the recoil?

I had a colt in 10mm 10 years ago and shot it pretty regularly and it cracked at the rails, and i was told that the frame was forged not cast.

Just wondering aren't you a little worried about the rail cracking without a heavier spring to absorb some of the recoil?

I had a colt in 10mm 10 years ago and shot it pretty regularly and it cracked at the rails, and i was told that the frame was forged not cast.

No, the very heavy hammer spring actually tames most of the recoil -- the "recoil" spring does more to return the slide into battery than anything else on the BackUp.

Very neat conversion...could see where that would be nice for carry...not sure I'd want to shoot it all day at the range though :)

Nice job. Post up some ballistic data!!! This is a good excuse to invest in the chrony!

I guess the G29 isn't worth much either - since the barrel length difference between the BU & the G29 is very small.

Which begs the question I've had since I started reading the thread- Why wouldn't the G29 be the first true pocket pistol in 10MM?

Because of small pockets?

Because of small hands?

A desire for single stack mags and lower capacity of rounds?

I have a G29 I shoot quite a bit, and can attest that it will consume full house loads as long as one wants to feed it, no premature wear worries.

It is/was an interesting project, to be sure, but with the heavy trigger pull and limited round count, seems kinda underdone to me. 10 rounds=mo' betta :nt:

Which begs the question I've had since I started reading the thread- Why wouldn't the G29 be the first true pocket pistol in 10MM?

Because of small pockets?

Because of small hands?

A desire for single stack mags and lower capacity of rounds?

I have a G29 I shoot quite a bit, and can attest that it will consume full house loads as long as one wants to feed it, no premature wear worries.

It is/was an interesting project, to be sure, but with the heavy trigger pull and limited round count, seems kinda underdone to me. 10 rounds=mo' betta :nt:

I suppose if you had large enough pockets, you could make a Desert Eagle 44 a pocket gun... :rolleyes: However, 98% of the gun toting public can't pocket a G29 on a daily basis. I did the conversion simply -- beacuase it could be done. I'll put up a photo comparison of the BackUp with the G29SF. The BackUp can be carried in regular cut blue jeans without printing -- has 10mm Auto power -- and will be an un-expected pocket gun employed against potential BGs when I occassionally carry it.

I love my G29SFs too -- and carried one IWB all day today. But mine are stoked with 12+1 125gr Barnes X bullets by Double Tap, with a 17-rd G20 mag as a reload... :salute:

More power to you! If the gun companies aren't making what we want we should make it ourselves!

man you guys are just making me drool,

i have a 10mm project on the way, it is nothing crazy like that, but it is a jericho high polish stainless in 10mm

i was going to do a p16 40 to 10mm next, but I HAVE TO FIND A AMT BACKUP IN .40sw RIGHT NOW>

please dont mind if i copy you do you

please dont mind if i copy you do you

Not at all -- it is an easy conversion!