Devin

Open carry laws?

What are the Open carry laws in Kentucky? What is the age to OC a handgun?

I debated on even stating this, because there's all that type of hoo-hah "kids, blah blah blah"

I'm only 16 and wanting to know some of the gun laws around here. Also wanting to be a Police Officer when I get older, but to the topic on hand, does anyone know?

From what I have seen you can be 18 without a license and Open Carry a gun, but then the "You must be 21 to carry a handgun" contradicts the previous statement. I'm not sure I want to be carrying around a shotgun, or rifle for that matter. (Which would be completely pointless.) Looking to carry around maybe a Glock 17 or Glock 37 for personal protection as well as home protection.

Let's not jump into the lecture about kids running around with guns, showing off. I understand the gripes with being a teenager.

Also, I have been looking into the standard Glock Tactical flash lights (With Laser) and the standard Glock holsters (With the locking mechanism and extra clip carry). I have heard about too many cases where some thug runs up on someone and grabs their gun right out of the holster. It seems the Glock holster can almost eliminate this with it's button locking feature. I'd like some feedback on weapon choices as well as holsters"

And one last thing, what kind of classes are available about Handgun safety and information? E.G. What situations are right for pulling your gun out, what are not, and safety information.

Appreciate it.

I was able to find this.

http://opencarry.org/ky.html

by the way :welcome:

I see, thanks.

So let's say if I were 18, sitting in my car, with the gun in my holster on my right leg and the cop couldn't see it if I were, let's say, in a traffic stop would that in anyway possibly be considered CW?. Should I go ahead and put the gun in the glove box just to be sure or would it be considered OC? I'd like to take the safe side. From what I have read OC in a car refers to "In the back seat, front seat, or window (Rifles) and not between or under seats."

I see, thanks.

So let's say if I were 18, sitting in my car, with the gun in my holster on my right leg and the cop couldn't see it if I were, let's say, in a traffic stop would that in anyway possibly be considered CW?. Should I go ahead and put the gun in the glove box just to be sure or would it be considered OC? I'd like to take the safe side. From what I have read OC in a car refers to "In the back seat, front seat, or window (Rifles) and not between or under seats."

I am not from KY so any advice I would tell you would be innacurate at best. I would start with local gun clubs and your state firearms group. They would be able to advise you on the best course of action. They would also be able to suggest quality training as far as legal vs illegal. Just remimber legal my not be smart.

I'm not from KY either but I do live in an open carry state. The thing that will happen if you carry openly is, somebody will call the Police because they don't know the law. The Police will respond to a "man with gun" call and you will be swarmed time and time again. It attracts way too much attention. You also have to make sure your not breaking any local laws including not carrying in a place that is a gun free zone or private property that does not allow guns.

I'm not from KY either but I do live in an open carry state. The thing that will happen if you carry openly is, somebody will call the Police because they don't know the law. The Police will respond to a "man with gun" call and you will be swarmed time and time again. It attracts way too much attention. You also have to make sure your not breaking any local laws including not carrying in a place that is a gun free zone or private property that does not allow guns.

Thanks both of you, great advice.

I will be sure to always verify with a employee or manager of a business if I don't see a "No firearms" sign outside the building (Besides the obvious government and schools/colleges.)

I do see the ups and downs of OC, being falsely called on is one of my top downers of carrying open. I'll be sure to keep your alls advice.

There really are no laws for open carry as it is granted to you in the Kentucky Constitution, for the most part the majority of the places you cannot OC are places that you cannot normally carry a firearm into anyways. (Court houses, jails, ect. Though schools you can if you have the administrations permission.) As far as OCing daily I do it and I've never had a call placed on me, you just have to have a certain way you present yourself. (Don't dress like a thug, don't carry it in your waistband though that is still 'legal' in KY) I carry a Smith and Wesson SW99 in a Blackhawk Serpa thigh rig, though it probably does help that I still wear my dog tags and every jacket I own has a flag on the right shoulder.

As far as it being on your leg in a traffic stop it's not illegal so long as it doesn't get covered by something as it is still being openly carried on your person (I had to research this as I'm left handed so my rig would be between me and the door), though you still have to be 21 to buy a pistol and carry it.

For the most part people seem to assume that if you're carrying in plain sight and you're respectful and courteous then it really isn't an issue, they may not like it or understand why you do it but contrary to what is shown, most people are reasonable.

As I told the rather nice LEO in Madisonville (even though I didn't have to stop because KY is not a stop and identify state), I carry for three reasons:

1. Because I can, it's a right set to me in two different constitutions and if I don't use my rights I lose them.

2. Because I understand that the police are not there to protect me, sure they'll do it IF they can, but their job is to solve a crime and catch the person responsible, and the only person who is responsible for my life is me.

And finally 3. Because I never know when something might happen. If some little wannabe thug or gangbanger sees that I openly have a firearm, how likely is he to try something with me? (And yes CC guys, it ruins the surprise and if I'm in a building they're going to target me first.) But I still think that people who commit crimes are cowards first and foremost.

Sorry for being so long winded, 2nd amendment rights are something I'm really passionate about. Hope that helps you.

I think open carry will cause you more problems than you really want to deal with. Wait until you can get a concealed carry license and then make sure you keep the firearm concealed!

Lots of good advice on the oc part, so let me touch on the gun and holster side of the question. I personally prefer the Glock 30 in a desantis speed scabbard holster. Holster has a tension device that secures the gun and it rides high and tight so it works well for ccw. Could be used for open carry as well.... by the way i have carried open several times in this state and never had an issue. Ummm now to te gun i mentioned as with any you should try one out at the range and see what suites your style. Diffrences in handling and recoil can be quiet diffrent between models. So i say try before you buy. Hope that helps just a lil.