Sign in to follow this  
StuartBoyer

Is my lower outta spec?

Just finished installing all the parts to my lower and mated it to my upper only to find that pmags get stuck and have to be torn out of the lower. Do any of you guys have this problem with your pmags in a Black Rain lower?

I should note I tried both GEN 1 and 2 Pmags with the same problem they just wont drop free and Its not the magazine catch.

Edited by StuartBoyer

Just finished installing all the parts to my lower and mated it to my upper only to find that pmags get stuck and have to be torn out of the lower. Do any of you guys have this problem with your pmags in a Black Rain lower?

I should note I tried both GEN 1 and 2 Pmags with the same problem they just wont drop free and Its not the magazine catch.

Pmags and the stainless Cproducts have stuck a bit in mine. I took a nylon brush on my power drill at a low speed and smoothed the inside of the magwell out some. That seemed to help a bunch. They don't fall as free as the USGI's but still fall free.

I have found this to be the norm with most billet lowers.

Pmags and the stainless Cproducts have stuck a bit in mine. I took a nylon brush on my power drill at a low speed and smoothed the inside of the magwell out some. That seemed to help a bunch. They don't fall as free as the USGI's but still fall free.

I have found this to be the norm with most billet lowers.

I might have to try that later. My other billet lowers never had this problem though just this one.

Here's the pdf of the lower dimensions so you can mic it.......................Lower PDF

Baring that just as a mention, one should not base their lower as being out of spec or not on mags alone and if you do it should be a representative sample and mostly USGI type mags. Plastic mags and other metals tend to be a tad wider sometimes and on a whole mags are a much cheaper part so tolerances not held as tight.

Get a mag well at the low limit of its spec and a mag at the high end of its spec, its not uncommon to have sticking issues.

Tj

All mags I have drop free from my BRO lower.

Same here, PMAGS included.

Hummm.. seems to be just my lower then, I tried all 21 P Mags i have and every on of them would not fall free though some fit much tighter than others. I tried a mix of Gen 1 and 2 P Mags and also a Windowed Gen 2 P Mag and Gen 2 20 round P Mag none fell free. If they eventually dont fall free from the reciever after it gets more use then I guess ill do like glock10mmman and take a nylon brush to it.

Seems its just P Mags though my Stainless Steel C Products Magazines drop free.

Hummm.. seems to be just my lower then, I tried all 21 P Mags i have and every on of them would not fall free though some fit much tighter than others. I tried a mix of Gen 1 and 2 P Mags and also a Windowed Gen 2 P Mag and Gen 2 20 round P Mag none fell free. If they eventually dont fall free from the reciever after it gets more use then I guess ill do like glock10mmman and take a nylon brush to it.

Seems its just P Mags though my Stainless Steel C Products Magazines drop free.

I would also give justin with BRO a call and let him know whats up. They make good stuff, but even the best, have a tard that makes it out the door.

glock10mmman

When you used the nylon brush in the drill to smooth it out are you talking about a regular nylon brush (ones that look like a tooth brush) or a nylon brush thats round like a bore brush. I think i found the problem spot in my lower. Its in the magwell rear wall thats toward the trigger guard halfway up the well. That spot seems to stick out further by hand feel and seem to be where the P Mags are sticking, though its only by a slight bit so I doubt much smoothing will be needed. Also did you put any oils or compounds on the brush and what did it do to the finish in those spots, did it strip it etc. I might give Justin a call but think I found the problem and there isnt much he can do about it anyway, itll probably be easier for me to smooth it out. I noticed that P Mags side to side had more room than back to front when trying to wiggle them in the well once seated and thats what made me notice the spot.

It was a nylon 45 ACP brush. Low speed with no lube. Didnt strip any finish either.

It was a nylon 45 ACP brush. Low speed with no lube. Didnt strip any finish either.

Thanks!!!

I owe you one, took only 7 seconds on low to do the whole mag well and now all mags fall free. I used SLiP 2000 EWL as a precaution and used a .22 nylon bore brush, fit in between the grooves of the well very nicely, did it like you said on low and not a single mark on the finish.

Just proves why I love this site everyone is helpful and shares knowledge and seems more like a small town community feel here not a big city the heck with you big crowd diffusion of responibilty not involved kinda feel to the board.

:signthankspin:

Edited by StuartBoyer

Yeah, a certain un named other site would just cuss you out and call you stupid. Here, you have great guys that are always willing to help.

Yeah, a certain un named other site would just cuss you out and call you stupid. Here, you have great guys that are always willing to help.

Yep I know just who your talkin about, they think their way is the only right way, and certain gear even if proven superior is crap just cause its not a brand or big name and cost a mortgage to get. They used to knock modding lights for example since they werent didicated surefire weapon lights and now look what the majority or "pros" and civs use, G2 and 6Ps modified, huh go figure.

Thanks!!!

I owe you one, took only 7 seconds on low to do the whole mag well and now all mags fall free. I used SLiP 2000 EWL as a precaution and used a .22 nylon bore brush, fit in between the grooves of the well very nicely, did it like you said on low and not a single mark on the finish.

Just proves why I love this site everyone is helpful and shares knowledge and seems more like a small town community feel here not a big city the heck with you big crowd diffusion of responibilty not involved kinda feel to the board.

:signthankspin:

No problem bud! Glad I could help.

Well seems the brush in the magwell was a tem fix. Certain Pmags still hung up though they should have dropped free. After taking measurements the lower was in spec but after a little playing around I found the real culprit. Turns out the Magpul BAD I was using wont work with a BRO upper and lower. They work on all my other ARs but this one so it slipped my mind it could be the problem. Took it off and it worked fine.

I even tried to grind down the back of the BAD to make it flat as can be (and not break) and still it wouldnt allow mags to drop free as it interfered with the bolt release from going far enough down to push on the top of the Pmag and help the magazine drop. I ended up using my EBRv2 to replace the Magpul BAD and bolt release and now it functions perfect and all magazines drop free. The EBRv2 works great and is a good product but I still would rather have the BAD work with the upper and lower as its whats on all my other ARs and its not as "loose" as the EBRv2.