Sign in to follow this  
cpt_majestic

SW 10 mm new to the 10mm (pics added)

Hi all, new to the forum so bare with me.

Unfortunately my Father passed away about 4 years ago and I finally got the desire to take a look at his things. He was a law enforcement captain (Agency left out).

Smith and Wesson 10mm

1 of 650

Original case and manual

On Duty service, had been fired but looked like very little. I photoshopped out the engravings so that's the blemish you see in the picture.

I'm finding out that 10mm ammo is very tough to get here in California, if I find it it's very $$$..Will it ever be produced enough to get the price down? holy cow it's expensive. I'd love to go fire this baby...Thanks

10mm_2.gif

Edited by cpt_majestic

Welcome. :anim_wave:

That is a nice Smith.

Welcome, Cpt. Majestic. That's a nice S&W! (From what I can tell, it is a 'limited edition' piece.) You may have to buy some bulk ammunition from either outside your state, or buy it from Georgia Arms befroe the end of the year!

Goning to AZ might be an excellent option for now, as iit would be in your best interest to buy in bulk while you can.

Again, welcome.

Scott

Welocme!! As was said above, Georgia Arms for nice plinking 10mm. I just placed an order last night as a matter of fact. $170 for 500 rounds loose pack.

cpt_majestic, :welcome: to 10mmTalk!

That is a very nice S&W1006...It looks to be one of the 650 California Hwy Patrol guns. They made the purchase for actual duty weapons then the department changed shortly afterwards. Most of the officers bought them from the dept at a great price, if I recall correctly. In any situation you have a very nice keepsake and a very strong and accurate shooter with that pistol. You could get the pistol "lettered" from Roy Jinks @ Smith & Wesson to provide the history when and how it left the factory. I know it is difficult to loose a loved one but Congrats to aquiring such a wonderful piece.

You will have to purchase from mail order to get some quality ammo if that is still allowed for you...Double Tap Ammo, Buffalo Bore ammo and yes Georgia Arms has a good selection as well. Most people roll their own (handloading) to get the best bang for the buck! $$$

Don't give up on this caliber and that pistol, check out the ammo which is avalible to you and give that pistol a whirl you will be pleasantly supprised how it handles. If you are not use to semiautl pistols the trigger has some tke up in single action and you can master that with practice.

Here is some info for you to look at:

Smith & Wesson 10mm pistols

1006 - 26,979 units produced 1990-93

1006- 5" barrel, slide mounted safety/decocker traditional double action

S&W 1006- 5.00" barrel, slide mounted safety/decocker traditional double action

S&W 1066- 4.25" barrel, slide mounted safety/decocker traditional double action

The hammer on the 1006 has the full tang, the 1066 is bobbed.

The 1006 and 1066 do have the slide mounted decocker/safety on both sides of the slide. Safety/Decocker if placed in safe mode allows the hammer to be dropped safely to the blocking bar so it can not hit the firing pin. With the Safety/Decocker in fire mode, pulling the trigger will cock and fire the pistol. The pistol can be carried with the Safety/Decocker in the fire position with the hammer un-cocked and the trigger will cock the hammer and fire the pistol Double Action. After the gun is fired, it is fully recocked and the gun is fired single action till empty or decocked. You can carry the pistol cocked with the Safety/Decocker in fire position, then the "ONLY SAFETY IS THE TRIGGER" Single Action! Some models can be fired without the magazine present if the magazine disconnect is removed.

Best regards, enjoy the forum! :thumb:

That is a very nice S&W1006...It looks to be one of the 650 California Hwy Patrol guns. They made the purchase for actual duty weapons then the department changed shortly afterwards. Most of the officers bought them from the dept at a great price, if I recall correctly. In any situation you have a very nice keepsake and a very strong and accurate shooter with that pistol. You could get the pistol "lettered" from Roy Jinks @ Smith & Wesson to provide the history when and how it left the factory. I know it is difficult to loose a loved one but Congrats to aquiring such a wonderful piece.

You will have to purchase from mail order to get some quality ammo if that is still allowed for you...Double Tap Ammo, Buffalo Bore ammo and yes Georgia Arms has a good selection as well. Most people roll their own (handloading) to get the best bang for the buck! $$$

Don't give up on this caliber and that pistol, check out the ammo which is avalible to you and give that pistol a whirl you will be pleasantly supprised how it handles. If you are not use to semiautl pistols the trigger has some tke up in single action and you can master that with practice.

The 1006 and 1066 do have the slide mounted decocker/safety on both sides of the slide. Safety/Decocker if placed in safe mode allows the hammer to be dropped safely to the blocking bar so it can not hit the firing pin. With the Safety/Decocker in fire mode, pulling the trigger will cock and fire the pistol. The pistol can be carried with the Safety/Decocker in the fire position with the hammer un-cocked and the trigger will cock the hammer and fire the pistol Double Action. After the gun is fired, it is fully recocked and the gun is fired single action till empty or decocked. You can carry the pistol cocked with the Safety/Decocker in fire position, then the "ONLY SAFETY IS THE TRIGGER" Single Action! Some models can be fired without the magazine present if t

The 1006 and 1066 do have the slide mounted decocker/safety on both sides of the slide. Safety/Decocker if placed in safe mode allows the hammer to be dropped safely to the blocking bar so it can not hit the firing pin. With the Safety/Decocker in fire mode, pulling the trigger will cock and fire the pistol. The pistol can be carried with the Safety/Decocker in the fire position with the hammer un-cocked and the trigger will cock the hammer and fire the pistol Double Action. After the gun is fired, it is fully recocked and the gun is fired single action till empty or decocked. You can carry the pistol cocked with the Safety/Decocker in fire position, then the "ONLY SAFETY IS THE TRIGGER" Single Action! Some models can be fired without the magazine present if the magazine disconnect is removed.

Best regards, enjoy the forum! :thumb:

Wow you know your stuff, you're correct CHP gun

Welcome to the forum cpt! :pirate41: :welcome:

As you can see, The_Shadow knows his Smiths quite well. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Family! You should never feel outgunned with a 10. :thumb:

Thanks for the welcome mat guys, and no I will never doubt the shadow ever again... :)

VEDDY nice - with the straight backstrap, too! :thumb: I miss my old 1006... :sad:

I did finally find an ammo place near me that has 10mm at a some what decent price, going to go pick me up some at payday...I already spent this months ammo quota.

He's got 50 count boxes $25.00, new ammo, not reload.

cpt_majestic says...I did finally find an ammo place near me that has 10mm at a some what decent price, going to go pick me up some at payday...I already spent this months ammo quota.

He's got 50 count boxes $25.00, new ammo, not reload.

Thats a decent price but not sure of the performance as no brand was mentioned or whether it was jacketed stuff. CCI? Remington? Other?

It should let you be able to at least test the gun's function and get a feel for things! Best of luck! :thumb:

If you don't end up loving this thing let us know.

Someone here will be more than willing to pay you to take

it off your hands.

In my worthless opinion, the 1006 is THE 10mm handgun.

Just a tank.

Enjoy it.

Jon