Sign in to follow this  
VeeKay

Safe Queens

Recently I was directed to an article I read a long time ago. Looking closely at the tables it listed the S&W 1076 as a "safe Queen" Has anyone heard anything else on this. I just bought a 1076 several months back and this is the first I've come across this. Could it be that he wanted to keep it unused for value rather than it not being able to "handle" the full 10mm loads?

I'd always been under the impression the S&W 1076 was a very stalwart machine.

Any info would help! :unsure:

Recently I was directed to an article I read a long time ago. Looking closely at the tables it listed the S&W 1076 as a "safe Queen" Has anyone heard anything else on this. I just bought a 1076 several months back and this is the first I've come across this. Could it be that he wanted to keep it unused for value rather than it not being able to "handle" the full 10mm loads?

I'd always been under the impression the S&W 1076 was a very stalwart machine.

Any info would help! :unsure:

Kinda hard to comment without seeing the article you are referring to but...

Personally I don't consider my 1076 a safe queen in terms of either collectability or a lack of durability.

The link: http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id7.html

The location in the article is just above the ending.

"10mm Auto Velocity Comparison Chart #1"

I can remember reading an article about it's close relative the 1006 shooting 10,000 rounds, with only a few mis-feeds and a couple of insignificant parts that broke.

Would I put some full-house Norma or Hornady through one? Probably NOT. Remember, this was MADE for the FBI, so 5' 2" Agent Scully could shoot it, which meant glorified .40 10mm 'lite' was intended to go through it. :rolleyes:

Certainly not a safe queen, but I wouldn't bank on it being my "stop-a-runaway-Mack-truck" heater. Save THAT duty for your 1006. :smartass:

Would I put some full-house Norma or Hornady through one? Probably NOT. Remember, this was MADE for the FBI, so 5' 2" Agent Scully could shoot it, which meant glorified .40 10mm 'lite' was intended to go through it. :rolleyes:

ALL Smith & Wesson 10xx series guns use the same basic frame, slide and barrel components. They are the strongest 10mm autoloaders out there. I don't have a clue where this fellow got this information but I would suggest that he research the subject more extensively. I wouldn't worry about putting any reasonable 10mm load thru a 10xx Smith.

:nono:

Bruce

The Smith 10mm 1000 series 3rd Gen semi-autos were designed around the original Norma full power loads, not the FBI'e lite loads. :)

FWIW, I've put the hottest current factory 10mm ammo and some insanely hot ("nuclear") reloads through both my S&W 1006 and 1076 --> ... result?

Well, both guns ran fine. No hiccups, no KABOOMs!

Sounds to me like this was just more errornet speculation. :whistling:

:cool:

Complete BS! I have put well over 10k rounds through one of my 1076's and I would guess something like 70% of those were DoubleTap. Personally, out of my extensive 10mm collection, the only gun that I can think of that I would consider stronger is the Star Megastar.

It's hard to stop a shooting Star! :thumb:

Total rubbish.

When I was just starting to reload I overloaded by 5 grains (yeah I'm a dumbass) 50 rounds.

Fired off three before the old 1006 complained. Then it just stuck a broken case. Finally

came to my senses and figured out I had something wrong. Went home and pulled the bullets

and found my error.

Sent the gun to my Smith. Said he could find nothing wrong. Hard to break a Sherman Tank.

Have to say though those three rounds were truely Nuclear. Ha!

Jon

ALL Smith & Wesson 10xx series guns use the same basic frame, slide and barrel components. They are the strongest 10mm autoloaders out there. I don't have a clue where this fellow got this information but I would suggest that he research the subject more extensively. I wouldn't worry about putting any reasonable 10mm load thru a 10xx Smith.

:nono:

Bruce

Perhaps Bruce can remember the exact wording that S&W had in its initial list of features of the 10X series, but I remember S&W stating a special engineering feature (internal cut or re-design) was made specially for them. The ones I owned were always running and running like the Energizer bunny and the only things I ever changed were recoil and magazine springs (x-tra power) when I used "nuclear" loads. Make sure you have the S&W up-grade (two dots under decock lever). If not, send it to S&W for that product improvement. I have never, ever heard of any 10X series, ever with frame cracks and S&W did design this series around full-power 10mm (Winchester Silvertip 10mm 175 was used by agents that could qualify with it). The lite loads for those who could not...which gave birth to the idea of the .40 S&W.

Takjr

My cousin has an original Bren Ten that is a safe queen now. It blew up and him right before the company went tits up.

My 1086 had over 10k in VERY hot loads through it and absolutely NO issues whats so ever. S&W 10xx are some of the strongest autos ever made.

Some EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness pistols had inherent problems due to their slide's heat treatment and metallurgy. Others do not. Modern Match and Elite versions, have exhibited no such difficulties.

I have been considering purchasing a Match barrel (5" in length) and installing a 22 pound recoil spring. Since these pistols are of the "Linkless" Browning P-35 type, a simple increase in recoil spring, (and heavier firing pin spring) is all that is needed to ensure positive function (and lack of firing pin "wipe" marks) with even the heaviest of 10mm loads.

This combination WILL "kick bootie" both on the street, and in the field!

This 'works for me'!

Scott