Sign in to follow this  
whackem

What do you need to convert a 1911 .45 to a 10mm?

Its my duty and privilege to hammer blasphemers and false prophets. :)

amen :lol:

There is no easy conversion from .45 ACP to 10mm Auto. First, you will need a whole new top-end for the 1911, which isn't cheap! Add the barrel, bushing, and etc. The breach-face on a .45 ACP is larger than base of 10mm, which is in essence a .40 caliber. See the problem. It would be easier to covert to Johnny Rowland's .400 Corbon round, which is essentially a necked-down .45 ACP casing. In another scenario, the .45 Super is viable with a beefed-up recoil spring installed. If you must have a 10mm, have Fusion build one from scratch, or buy a Kimber. Hope this helps. :thumb:

LAR got it to work in their Grizzly pistol, and it used the same slide between 45ACP and 10mm.

Tony

My question is why would one want to??? A 200 grn 10mm bullet coming out the barrel using Double Tap ammo is going over 1200fps. If you need more than that, try a revolver in a 44mag or locate a Desert Eagle etc. My lightweight Glock does all I need to have done on the street or off the street, as far as 2 legged perps go!

The 1911 model frame was not designed for such stress that the 10mm caliber dishes out over all. You could get yourself a Dan Wesson in 10mm or a Smith & Wesson etc.

Isn't a Dan Wesson 10mm a 1911 design? Mine sure looks like a .45. Not fun when I took my nephew shooting and he slapped a 10mm mag in my Springfield Armory GI 1911A1, then complained something was not working right.

Isn't a Dan Wesson 10mm a 1911 design? Mine sure looks like a .45. Not fun when I took my nephew shooting and he slapped a 10mm mag in my Springfield Armory GI 1911A1, then complained something was not working right.

Yes it is. You win the internet. :thumb:

And how about my new Fusion Firearms 10mm long slide Hunter?

CappieHunterTradXlElite-3.jpg

Anyways I have seen a company that turned a SIG P220 into 10mm's, but you had to provide the SIG, and then it STILL would cost like well over a grand to get it converted. I think I would go with one of those new RIA $600 10mm guns instead. My Dan Wesson was like $800 when I bought it, and my Fusion Firearms was like $1700, but it is custom made to my specs.

There is no easy conversion from .45 ACP to 10mm Auto. First, you will need a whole new top-end for the 1911, which isn't cheap! Add the barrel, bushing, and etc. The breach-face on a .45 ACP is larger than base of 10mm, which is in essence a .40 caliber. See the problem. It would be easier to covert to Johnny Rowland's .400 Corbon round, which is essentially a necked-down .45 ACP casing. In another scenario, the .45 Super is viable with a beefed-up recoil spring installed. If you must have a 10mm, have Fusion build one from scratch, or buy a Kimber. Hope this helps. :thumb:

I tried the .400 Corbon conversion in a Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI. Had WAY too many failures to feed. Finally just broke down and paid for a Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm, instead.

If you take a Glock and put it side by side with a 1911 compare the grip angle and see what you get. The Double stack Glock is bigger....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neMX7wtBt7Y

Edited by gshayd