AR15Armory.com

Got Gear? Review it here!

Etho

Streamlight UltraStinger

A short word of advice, don't bother buying it for duty work. It won't hold up, I went and bought an SL-20 today.

Pros: Very bright, lightweight, bulbs are cheap, long runtime, not too big.

Cons: Not very sturdy, too bright for all around use, bulbs are not very conducive to being knocked around.

I've had this flashlight for over 2 years now. It worked great while in the academy but once it actually got put to work, man did it's faults really come out. Firstly, the smaller size and extremely high candlepower/lumens drew me to it. It was significantly brighter than an SL-20 and bright lights are a good thing. Not to mention I had a Stinger as a light I kept on my belt and having one charger for 2 flashlights was a bonus. It's very light which is good for when you are holding it a long time. The high candlepower/lumens is fantastic for when you are needing to search a very dark area and need lots of light. The run time was pretty damn impressive considering the candlepower/lumens of this thing.

Now my gripes come out and while they are few they are pretty damn important ones for a light to be used by a patrolman. The bulbs are ridiculously flimsy. I've replaced so many bulbs it's ridiculous. Now they are cheap at $10 compared to $20 for the SL-20, but considering the amount of them you replace, it's completely negated. It's so damn bright that it's pretty much only a two purpose light. Traffic stops and searches. It's so bright that it washes out most forms up close, so trying to use it to light up a non-consent or witness statement for a complainant is impossible. The threads that connect the battery tube to the head are not very strong. I actually had this thing snap in half on me during a foot chase and it either broke after hitting the ground or was run over, either way that's not acceptable in a flashlight to be used on duty.

So in short, it's a good light for someone who needs a better than average light but it's not a good light for a cop. The SL-20 is the standard by which others are measured and there is a good reason why.

Edited by Etho

• 1 month later...

5.11 LIGHT FOR LIFE

Pros: Lightweight, long run time, ultra-quick recharge, warranty, time of service.

Cons: Doesn't fit standard flashlight rings well, expense, and it's a bit bigger around than most folks are used to.

Summary: This is probably the best patrol light I've ever used. I used to use a Streamlight SL-20XP-LED, and while it was a decent light, I came to detest the long recharge times, and the fragility of the bulb. I also went through three switches in the time I had it. I gave up, and purchased the 5.11 light. I paid $169.99, and it was the most expensive light I've ever purchased. But it turned out to be the best so far. Recharges in 90 seconds, has a solid run time, and is 200 lumens on high power. It's incredibly rugged and has yet to fail me, even being treated poorly. It fits in my old universal light ring, so I didn't have to use the nylon and plastic one they packed with the light, and I like it's larger size, it fits under my arm better than others, and stays put better IMHO. The light weight helps with the back issues, it gets tiresome packing all that weight, saving a pound or more with the LFL is a welcome change.

Bates UltraLite

Pros: Zipper on the sides, lightweight, good for moderate weather, decent for hot weather, decent comfort.

Cons: Soles wear out quick, stitching is not very strong and glued on soles.

Bought these March 20, 2010. They lasted until October 2010 before it was finally time to get rid of them. Right around 7 months which some might consider that decent, personally I find it poor. Now they are not terribly expensive at $80(roughly) and are easily available at a number of places including stores that most cities have. But at roughly 2 pairs per year that's a $160 a year for just footwear.

I loved them initially. They were lightweight, easy to run in, cool as they had cordura sides to breath. The soles were thick semi soft rubber, good traction in mud and slick surfaces. They were alright in cold weather but they never made it to real winter time to see sub 50 degree temperatures. They were touted as being semi waterproof but yeah not even close. Your feet were wet in the rain without even going through even remotely deep puddles.

As time went on, the soles were wearing down quick. Mostly in the ball area of the foot, not abnormal but keep in mind it was only about 5 months into owning them. Then the soles started separating from the uppers. The stitching started coming undone shortly there after. By the time I got rid of them you could see my socks on the sides near my toes from the separation.

Good for light use but not good for heavy use.

• 4 weeks later...
5.11 LIGHT FOR LIFE

Pros: Lightweight, long run time, ultra-quick recharge, warranty, time of service.

Cons: Doesn't fit standard flashlight rings well, expense, and it's a bit bigger around than most folks are used to.

Summary: This is probably the best patrol light I've ever used. I used to use a Streamlight SL-20XP-LED, and while it was a decent light, I came to detest the long recharge times, and the fragility of the bulb. I also went through three switches in the time I had it. I gave up, and purchased the 5.11 light. I paid $169.99, and it was the most expensive light I've ever purchased. But it turned out to be the best so far. Recharges in 90 seconds, has a solid run time, and is 200 lumens on high power. It's incredibly rugged and has yet to fail me, even being treated poorly. It fits in my old universal light ring, so I didn't have to use the nylon and plastic one they packed with the light, and I like it's larger size, it fits under my arm better than others, and stays put better IMHO. The light weight helps with the back issues, it gets tiresome packing all that weight, saving a pound or more with the LFL is a welcome change.

I was curious about these lights and wondered how the depth of field was with this LED as opposed to a traditional incandescent lights. Any comments on this would be helpful.

I was curious about these lights and wondered how the depth of field was with this LED as opposed to a traditional incandescent lights. Any comments on this would be helpful.

I find it to be rather large. It has a solid throw, and illuminates well. The constant on setting is 80 lumens, which is plenty bright for tucking under the arm while on a stop, or to do SFST's. The momentary bright setting is awesome for searches of wooded areas, or when you really have to blind someone in a hurry. IIRC, it's 200 lumens on the highest setting. I've played with all sorts of lights, and while there are others that are as bright or brighter, the fast recharge time of this light makes it head and shoulders above the competition. I leave mine in the charger all the time, but we've all had times when we ran our lights dead on a scene, and being able to walk back to the car for a minute and a half to get a full charge is great. I always carry a secondary light, but I've found I'm only using it when I'm caught away from my car without the 5.11 light. I was using it nightly when I was relying on the Streamlight as a main patrol light.

• 4 weeks later...

Magnum 6" Viper Boots

been using these for almost a year now. wear and tear is excellent for a cheap boot and with a quality insole, they are reasonably comfortable. my only complaints are that they can be hot for extended use and the laces are starting to fray.

Edited by mrbill

• 4 weeks later...

Danner Acadias

I bought a pair during the infamous 50% off sale back in Novemeber or December. Have use 40-60 hours a week and 10 hours at a time. So far temperature has ranged from 17 degrees to about 92 degrees. Surfaces are mostly asphalt, concrete, sand ad grass. Lots of rain and some deep water.

Comfort is pretty damn good. I use the insert from Danner along with Dr Scholls gel inserts and my feet are pretty good to go even after 10 hours. My back is still sore if I have to stand on my feet but considering the weight of a gun belt, not a whole to do there. I worked Mardi Gras for 6 hours and then my patrol shift for 10 hours and didn't have any issues. So far no issues with hot or cold, my feet stay comfortable.

Durability so far is good. Once a week they get cleaned with warm soapy water, conditioned with leather conditioner and 2 coats of Kiwi wax. The leather has broken in and of course is wrinkled but no cracking. The stitching is still good and in place. Soles have not come unstitched either. Rubber on the soles is holding up well. The nylon portions of the uppers still look brand new.

The best thing I can say about these boots and really impressed me. They are genuinely waterproof. A lot of boots claim they are but never really are. I had to walk around in the ship channel on the shores and got into about 6"-8" of water and my feet stayed perfectly dry. I was really impressed.

Even though I got them 50% off I would without a doubt by another pair. Well worth the money.

EDIT 09/18/12

They are still going strong. No busted stitching, still no leaking. I've replaced the laces and insoles only. They are getting close to needing a new pair of soles though.

EDIT 01/26/13

They are still going strong. No issues other than normal wear. Stitching is strong, no leaking, inside fabric is still attached and works fine. Only thing I've done is replace the laces. They definitely need new soles on them. The "bars" are there, but the "stars" are almost non existant except in the shank area. Wanting to get another pair before I send these in to be resoled and just rotate boots. Two years and a few months and still very useable footwear. Cannot ask for much more. Will never buy another boot PERIOD.

Edited by Etho

Danner Acadias

I bought a pair during the infamous 50% off sale back in Novemeber or December. Have use 40-60 hours a week and 10 hours at a time. So far temperature has ranged from 17 degrees to about 92 degrees. Surfaces are mostly asphalt, concrete, sand ad grass. Lots of rain and some deep water.

Comfort is pretty damn good. I use the insert from Danner along with Dr Scholls gel inserts and my feet are pretty good to go even after 10 hours. My back is still sore if I have to stand on my feet but considering the weight of a gun belt, not a whole to do there. I worked Mardi Gras for 6 hours and then my patrol shift for 10 hours and didn't have any issues. So far no issues with hot or cold, my feet stay comfortable.

Durability so far is good. Once a week they get cleaned with warm soapy water, conditioned with leather conditioner and 2 coats of Kiwi wax. The leather has broken in and of course is wrinkled but no cracking. The stitching is still good and in place. Soles have not come unstitched either. Rubber on the soles is holding up well. The nylon portions of the uppers still look brand new.

The best thing I can say about these boots and really impressed me. They are genuinely waterproof. A lot of boots claim they are but never really are. I had to walk around in the ship channel on the shores and got into about 6"-8" of water and my feet stayed perfectly dry. I was really impressed.

Even though I got them 50% off I would without a doubt by another pair. Well worth the money.

I have gone through several pairs of the Danner Acadia Patrol Boot. When I mean "going through them," it's only the heel on the Vibram sole being worn down (after lots of use). The rest of the boot holds up well. When I sent my first Acadias in, to be resoled, I thought Danner sent me brand new boots in return - that's how good the boot holds up. Insulated/warm? You bet! Like Etho said, they are waterproof! My only con, on them, is because of the hard Vibram sole, when standing all day on pavement (like, while instructing at the range) - it's harder on my feet/back then wearing soft soled footwear.

• 1 month later...

LA Police Gear Zombie Hunter Bag

Bought this to use as a bail out bag/active shooter bag. I wanted small but big enough to fit what I need to fit.

I also wanted MOLLE loops for adding pouches on the outside. It filled that role nicely.

So far it has been rugged, although I haven't had to use it for the intended purpose and hopefully I won't ever have to use it. It has an almost entire side of MOLLE loops. Two outside zipper pockets that are internally divided into two pockets. One half is a zippered pocket that holds 3 Ar-15 magazines. The other half is a larger zippered pocket that is divded into two section. One has loops for shotgun shells and other pockets for misc items. The other has large pockets.

I'll post up some pics later. For $29.99 it is good bargain thus far.

• 1 year later...

Streamlight SL20 LED

Been a fan of the SL series for a couple years. I had the old halogen/LED model and it worked well. Had no real complaints at all. Went to one of the local police supply places and he had the newer LED model for a decent price, so I bought one.

The improvements:

Switch has been redesigned and seems more robust than the older SL20, which was problematic at times.

It is now solely LED.

350 lumens vs. 200 lumens.

Dimming capability(350, 160, 10 lumens) and strobe capability

I love this light. Run time is great, the dimming is awesome, strobe is awesome if needed. It is significantly brighter than the old halogen. I never had a problem with my halogen breaking bulbs but its nice to know that being LED it won't be a problem for a long time.

• 3 months later...
Danner Acadias

EDIT 09/18/12

They are still going strong. No busted stitching, still no leaking. I've replaced the laces and insoles only. They are getting close to needing a new pair of soles though.

For FF station wear & driving and EMS I wear a pair with zippers laced in, safety toe. Haven't worn a better quality waterproof working boot, and I generally get them to a real nice spit shine before each shift no matter what kind of mess I was in last shift.

ASP Handcuffs

I used these for a while. They were ok. Felt flimsy and easily breakable. They also don't fit in a lot of cuff pouches. In the end, one was stolen so I went back to my S&W model 100 until I bought some model 1's.

Got them for a song from a buddy of mine. I wouldn't spend the full money on them.

• 1 month later...

My favorite pair of shoes are Havana Joes Men's Classic Brown Chukka Boot

here is what they look like they are made in Spain.

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Joe-Classic-Chukka-10-10-5/dp/B000J3KHOW/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1362331102&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=havana+joe+classic+chukka+boot%2Cbrown+greasy%2C

had them for a few years now.