Sign in to follow this  
WakaWaka

McAllen, TX

Was offered a job down in McAllen. 2-3 yr contract working for local law enforcment.

How is it down there? I will also be driving out to border land at many different job sites.

With partly paid housing, we can afford $1,400 out of our pockets, so $2,000 a month.

We will be getting a shotgun for home, AR (also need info on lockable racks for f150) for company truck, and how easy is it to get a conceal license?

We know with the drug wars going on, life isn't too great down there. We got a purebred German King Shepherd (90-150lbs, he is at 95lbs now) about 8 months ago (he's 10 months now) who is very protective of us, so that covers someone breaking in at night..we don't go out much. Plus with the heat, doubt we venture out other than to work.

First and for most, I'm worried about my girl. I know I will be on the border, but will have protection as she will too. But at home is what we are worried about. Are there any better areas to live in Mcallen area? Company truck/gas so I'm not worried too much about distance.

First of all, congratulations on the job offer. You definitely won't have to worry about snow down there. As far as anything else, I can't help you. Sorry. You really can't get any further south and still be in the US. I checked the map and there is an Army air field there. I would first look in that area. If for no other reason than living around military might make the cartels stay out of your neighborhood.

Good luck.

I lived ten years in TX.

I don't want to discourage you but I don't know anyone who moved in that part of the world that didn't count the days to get out. Almost all of them used the move there as a career stepping stone.

That being said, I lived in Houston when it had the highest crime rate in the US. Was involved in a lot of crap in those years but it made me security crazy so very little crime impact so far the rest of my life.

Tj

Thanks, and good to know.

This is also a career stepping stone for us. I haven't found work (making at least 60k yr) until this offer. Also help us with other things like downtime for my old truck to get a new motor. Just rolled over 325k miles..

I didn't know there was an airfield down there. Our contract is with border patrol/homeland/local so I will ask those guys where they live. I'm sure they stay pretty tight packed off the clock too.

I'm not looking forward at all to living in TX. However the job is quite awesome.

HI, i see this post is from December, so not sure if youve moved yet. Mcallen texas, get ready for major culture shock. its a different world. Im originally form New England and live in San Antonio, but travel to McAllen for work at least once a week. and my first time there it was a total shock. Being about 10 minutes from Mexico, you are basically in Mexico. Its not a bad place just 180 degrees opposite from anything or place ive been to. and ive lived all over the US when i was active duty military. Its very hot and Humid also. But land is cheap and the mexican food is great.

Good luck.

AL

If you are an avid outdoorsman you will enjoy your time in the rio grande valley. I migrated to the valley in 1989 and i am still here. We have world class hunting and fishing second to none any where else in the counrty. As far as security concerns its really not as bad as some people make it seem its mostly kept in ther own social structures. If you have a CO. CHL it will be honered in the state of texas However if you do not have a CHL you will need a Texas id also if you wish to purchase a firearm while in Texas you also will need a Texas id.

Dear god!!

You guys scared me. I thought he came back again

Dear god!!

You guys scared me. I thought he came back again

:ROFLLMAO: :ROFLLMAO: :ROFLLMAO:

classes are about $80 and up. Lic is 140 and it's good for 5 years. I had one when I was stationed in el paso.

Edited by YardDog