AR15Armory.com

One of the funniest posts about reloading I have read in a long time. Enjoy.

Tuckerp229

A warning to “Considering getting into reloading”

Reloading is a progressive, incurable disease that saps your time, energy and money until it runs its course and leaves the victim a cold, lifeless corpse. Once infected by the disease, the victim proceeds through the classic stages of fear, anger, denial, bargaining, etc., with most victims reaching acceptance and being reconciled to their fate. There is no cure or palliative treatment; the victim bears the full intensity of the disease. So that you may be able to both avoid the curse of reloading and to help those for whom there is no hope, the stages of this fatal sickness are outlined here.

You have been warned!

Stage I

Lee Loader; 2 boxes of cases; 1 can of powder; 1 box of bullets & 1C primers. Fits in shoe box.

Stage II

Alloy frame single stage press & dies for 2-3 calibers; 8 different powders; 12 bullet weight/types; 3 brands of primers. Outfit set up on kitchen table after kids are asleep, taken down before breakfast. Stored in closet.

Stage III

Several semi progressive & cast iron single stage presses crowded onto loading bench. Electronic scale/powder measure. Components still fit on 6 shelves. Sierra, Hornady, Hodgdon & Alliant tech support on speed dial. Bullet moulds & furnace in garage.

Stage IV

Dedicated room or out building to house your battery of Dillon presses & casting center. 200 amp service to accommodate power accessories. Powder purchased in four 8-lb jugs/case to waive HAZMAT fees. Bullet purchases calculated to fill USPS Priority Mail Large Flat Rate boxes. Custom lead alloy ingots ordered by cwt. UPS deliveryman & mailcarrier on your route rotated every 6 mos for recovery from hernia/back surgeries. Components neatly segregated & arranged in storage racks by manufacturer’s lot numbers. Powder & primer magazines separated by blast wall. On first name basis with Stan Widener & local Fire Marshal.

- Maj. Kong

What stage are you in?

Edited by Tuckerp229

When I started I went directly to III as I had wife that loved to shoot 44 Magnum and the little Lee stuff would not cutting it for the task.

I would be on VII. (III and IV combined) I vary only in that I don't have 200 amp service as I don't have time to pour bullets with all the reloading and shooting I do. The Priority Boxes hold a lot of bullets!!

I have a whole room for my loading that was supposed to be a bedroom. I converted the double sliding door closet with shelving for holding my powder etc. and all the accouterments like magazines and holsters. I have book cases and shelving all over the room as the pics of my area on the board show.

All I need now is a new safe as the one I have is crammed full but I hate to buy one before I move whenever the market returns here in Phoenix.

Greg

Edited by GLShooter

Stage III 1/2. There's 3 separate presses on the bench, which is in a separate building from the house and attached to the back porch. One portable setup that I used while working out of town, shelves in the building for bullets, brass, and tools. Powder and primers are kept inside the house to keep them dry and cool. Loaded ammo is kept on a dedicated bookshelf beside the safe, and I need another one :unsure:

The UPS guy has accused me of ordering concrete blocks before :laugh:

When I started I went directly to III as I had wife that loved to shoot 44 Magnum and the little Lee stuff would not cutting it for the task.

I would be on VII. (III and IV combined) I vary only in that I don't have 200 amp service as I don't have time to pour bullets with all the reloading and shooting I do. The Priority Boxes hold a lot of bullets!!

I have a whole room for my loading that was supposed to be a bedroom. I converted the double sliding door closet with shelving for holding my powder etc. and all the accouterments like magazines and holsters. I have book cases and shelving all over the room as the pics of my area on the board show.

All I need now is a new safe as the one I have is crammed full but I hate to buy one before I move whenever the market returns here in Phoenix.

Greg

Ditto

Got to Stage 3 in Hawaii.......without the casting stuff. My friend that I work for now has been to stage 5....fully automated Ammoload machines and casting equipment. Now he is at Stage 4 but no casting stuff....just 8 1050's, a Redding turret press and a big RCBS 'O' press...and TONS of dies! Oh...and a pharmy scale that goes to 2 decimal places! 4.82 gr of 231 and a 115 grain bullet in 9mm.....don't chase the scale! The old hands will know what that means.....

Edited by cliffspot