Dryw

Witness Elite Up-Convert - 40cal to 10mm (as it should be)

Long time reader, first time poster.

Proud owner of a Witness Elite Match. Slightly less proud that I had to buy it in .40cal (I call it 10mm Kurz, to make myself feel better) as there were absolutely no tens available anywhere at the time. Regardless, it's been an absolutely stellar performer thus far. However... the time has come to do the deed and get 10's running through it. Spent a ridiculous amount of time researching options, and came up with the following:

- EAA 'standard' 10mm 4.75" conversion kit. $285. Basic blued longslide with Super Sight.

- EAA 'match' 4.75" conversion kit. $350. Longslide. Not seeing the benefit an extra $65 gets me here? Prettier lettering and possibly a stronger default recoil spring? This is what EAA strongly recommended I buy (of course).

- EAA 10mm barrel, 2x 10mm mags, Wolff 20#. Roughly $220. My preferred option, but EAA has done everything but take away my credit card in an attempt to 'not recommended' me out of the idea.

That leads me to my questions. I figure if anyone can answer them, it'd be this group.

With the headspace similarities, the 10mm barrel is the most frugal option. Do differences exist between the internal workings of the .40 and 10mm Match slides out-of-the-box? Is it possible the 10mm Match default slide (and this is going to sound pretty stupid of me) is tempered differently and actually more robust? Should I have reservations firing the hotter Swampfox, Doubletap, etc ala 175gr @1350 if I have only replaced the barrel?

And what's the deal with the 'standard' vs 'match' long-slides? Pretty lettering? Finish? They appear to be identical. So would I actually be accepting a lower quality product if I opted for the 'standard' longslide over the 'match' longslide?

Thanks in advance for your input. This forum has been a huge source of info for me up to this point.

-Dryw

Good question and I bet you slam your head against the wall when trying to get a good conversation going with EAA.

After much research, decided on barrel-only. Unfortunately, when I called to order this morning EAA informed me that they are back ordered for at least 30 days on all 10mm parts. Frustrating.

So... I'm open to options. Any options. Where can I acquire a 4.75" 10mm barrel for the Witness Elite Match?

Never before have I had to try so hard to spend $200.00.

There is no difference except for the barrel and mags. Swap the barrel and mags and shoot away (the 10mm mags work fine with .40 too). I'd recommend a 22lb recoil spring, it even cycles fine shooting .40..

Thanks for the responses guys.

With the 10mm barrel on backorder from EAA, I have taken another route to satiate my 10mm yearnings:

480_Elite_Witness_Elite_Stock_2.jpg

10mm Stock II. Pick it up Thursday.

Slightly harder on the wallet though. I'll circle back on the Match 10mm barrel when they have them in stock.

Edited by Dryw

Thanks for the responses guys.

With the 10mm barrel on backorder from EAA, I have taken another route to satiate my 10mm yearnings:

480_Elite_Witness_Elite_Stock_2.jpg

10mm Stock II. Pick it up Thursday.

Slightly harder on the wallet though. I'll circle back on the Match 10mm barrel when they have them in stock.

what?! Not a Gold Team?!? :laugh:

witness_elite_gold_team.jpg

Beautiful gun, I'm sure you'll love it!

what?! Not a Gold Team?!? :laugh:

Just as soon as I can find a buyer for this spare kidney of mine... I'm all over that. :wink: