Sign in to follow this  
jayman84

New member Looking for my first AR 15

Hello all,

I am from Columbus Ohio and am looking to get my first AR-15, Can any members in the area recommend a Gun shop that has fair prices on AR's and staff that are knowledgeable (and helpful). I have been doing research and right now am leaning toward a Bushmaster. Any thought and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Never been there but I can :welcome: you to the Armory. We have several folks here from Ohio and I'm sure one of them will be able to help. :thumb:

Welcome. Take you time with your first purchase. This rifle will be with you for a long time. I think doing the research is half the fun.

DPMS is one of the site's sponsors. Their website is a lot of fun to explore: http://www.dpmsinc.com/

:welcome: Jay, I would go to Buckeye outdoor they are the closest to C-bus with descent stuff, Vances is another good alternative however they pissed me off trying to sale me shat I did not want when I lived in Pataskala so I would not go back.

Buckeye use to carry DPMS and RRA which I like those two better than Bushy anyway.

My Bushmaster has been excellent, everybody has a favorite. It kinda turns into a Ford vs Chevy thing. Just take your time and research as much as possible.

The boss Nwatson99, does give you some good places to look at.

Oh, by the way :welcome:

Welcome from another Buckeye!! I live up in Mt. Vernon and recently bought a gun on gunbroker.com after doing a lot of looking.

Vance's and Buckeye are two different stores owned by the same people. If you want to go north for a bit you cd hit the Fin which is right off of 71 in Ashland and then head over to Sportsmen's Den in Shelby (near Mansfield). Both big nice shops, but a bit of a drive. If you go to Shelby there is a great little diner in town w/ some killer, cheap food. Hit it while waiting for Sportsmens Den to open w/ abuddy and it was great, and cool.

Lots of good rilfes out there. Don't go fast and don't be afraid of asking what you think is a dumb question. Chances are I already did. :)

Welcome I am a new member myself. i am in the Cleveland area...what type/model AR-15 you lookin to get? M4? 16" 20" ....what are you using it for? I just built one for a friend of mine is why i ask got lots of good manufacturers parts at less than retail cost for total build.

I agree with Smokin' Iron its a preference thing as long as you stick with the established maunfacturers.... Bobs AR might be a little suspect... Panther (DPMS) RRA, Bushmaster are all goog just depends on what your wanting and its use... IMO

Edited by M1AG30

Welcome I am a new member myself. i am in the Cleveland area...what type/model AR-15 you lookin to get? M4? 16" 20" ....what are you using it for? I just built one for a friend of mine is why i ask got lots of good manufacturers parts at less than retail cost for total build.

I agree with Smokin' Iron its a preference thing as long as you stick with the established maunfacturers.... Bobs AR might be a little suspect... Panther (DPMS) RRA, Bushmaster are all goog just depends on what your wanting and its use... IMO

Currently I am looking at the Bushmaster XM15 A3 Carbine that Vances is selling, it looks like it seems to be a pretty good stater package. I also was looking at a Patriot Ordinance Piston AR that looked pretty sweet( this gun also is a little out of my current price range for a starter rifle) . The salesman was telling me that it was the most accurate AR on the market right now ( I dont know if he was telling the truth or not). I think if I decide to do a build I would try to incorporate the POF upper, would this help me get the accuracy that POF claims?

As for what I am planning to use my AR for, right now I am planning on using it for Range primarily, I would eventually like to compete in a few competitions. I don't know how competitive they are here in Ohio but I would just like to do something I could have fun with... I am not planning on using it for Home Self Defense at this moment due to living in the city and am afraid of bullets traveling through walls.

Edited by jayman84

Welcome from another Buckeye!! I live up in Mt. Vernon and recently bought a gun on gunbroker.com after doing a lot of looking.

Vance's and Buckeye are two different stores owned by the same people. If you want to go north for a bit you cd hit the Fin which is right off of 71 in Ashland and then head over to Sportsmen's Den in Shelby (near Mansfield). Both big nice shops, but a bit of a drive. If you go to Shelby there is a great little diner in town w/ some killer, cheap food. Hit it while waiting for Sportsmens Den to open w/ abuddy and it was great, and cool.

Lots of good rilfes out there. Don't go fast and don't be afraid of asking what you think is a dumb question. Chances are I already did. :)

Thanks for the advise, I knew that Buckeye and Vances were owned by the same person but I always thought they were basically the same rifle. I will have to take a trip there and check them out

Thanks for the advise, I knew that Buckeye and Vances were owned by the same person but I always thought they were basically the same stores. I will have to take a trip there and check them out

Edited by jayman84

Buckeye Outdoors is much larger than Vance's is. I live closer to Vance's, so I usually go there, and brave the degenerates and hour long wait to get what I want. Also if you've ever heard of it, Blackwing Shooting Center, they're up in Delaware off of 37 If I remember right. They have a great range, only one I go to for indoor and a great selection, though they tend to be a bit more expensive than Vance's. What area of Columbus are you from? I live "in the hood" apparently, really just an older neighborhood which is being overtaken by degenerates, on the Northside, near where Northland Mall used to be.

Buckeye Outdoors is much larger than Vance's is. I live closer to Vance's, so I usually go there, and brave the degenerates and hour long wait to get what I want. Also if you've ever heard of it, Blackwing Shooting Center, they're up in Delaware off of 37 If I remember right. They have a great range, only one I go to for indoor and a great selection, though they tend to be a bit more expensive than Vance's. What area of Columbus are you from? I live "in the hood" apparently, really just an older neighborhood which is being overtaken by degenerates, on the Northside, near where Northland Mall used to be.

I am currently living close to Northland also, I live off of 161 and Cleveland Ave. I go to the New Albany Range currently, they dont have much of a AR selection. last week when I was in there they only had 2 AR's a basic Bushmaster and a basic Smith and Wesson. I will have to add blackwing to my list to check out also. I was planning on going there this spring to shoot skeet

I am currently living close to Northland also, I live off of 161 and Cleveland Ave. I go to the New Albany Range currently, they dont have much of a AR selection. last week when I was in there they only had 2 AR's a basic Bushmaster and a basic Smith and Wesson. I will have to add blackwing to my list to check out also. I was planning on going there this spring to shoot skeet

Ah ok, I'm off Karl and Morse. Never been to New Albany, heard mixed things about it, but its always packed.

Ah ok, I'm off Karl and Morse. Never been to New Albany, heard mixed things about it, but its always packed.

Yes it is usually packed, I tend to go on tues, wed, or thurs. usually during the week and its not to bad. I have not had any issues with them. The only problem I have found with there range is that it is only 75 ft for rifle due to it being indoor only. I would like to get out to either blackwing or Briar Rabbit to shoot at greater distance